LNC settings obsole...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

31 July 2020 - Comet Registration video tutorial using APP 1.083-beta1 released.

30 July 2020 - APP 1.083-beta1 has been released introducing Comet processing! This 1st beta has comet registration. The stable release will also include special comet integration modes.

9 July 2020 - New and updated video tutorial using APP 1.081: Complete LRGB Tutorial of NGC292, The Small Magellanic Cloud by Christian Sasse (iTelescope.net) and Mabula Haverkamp

2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!

LNC settings obsolete when using LNC rejection filter?  

RSS

UN73
(@un73)
Molecular Cloud Customer
April 24, 2020 22:13  

Hello,

I´ve read several entries and explanations concerning LNC but still have the following question:

Is LNC performed twice when using an LNC setting other than "no LNC" and an LNC rejection filter? Or are the LNC settings for the LNC rejection filters? I believe not. So under normal circumstances it seems to make sense to leave the LNC setting at "no LNC" if an LNC rejection filter is used, right?

Best wishes,

Ulf

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
April 25, 2020 20:07  

Good question, I think it's a good idea to use LNC anyway (correction), it's off by default as it increases memory use and slows down the process quite a bit, but it is effective to have. I'm actually not sure if these are completely separate, they appear to be in the way it's layed out, but I'll ask Mabula about this.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Neutron Star Customer
April 26, 2020 04:18  

Vincent, I think your memory is failing you or your info outdated. When I hover my mouse over the "LNC degree" drop down it specifies that with data from one night LNC probably will have little effect and will be visually hard to see.

Still, Ulf has asked an interesting question.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
 UN73
(@un73)
Molecular Cloud Customer
April 26, 2020 10:44  

Thanks for the infos! Would be interesting to hear, what Mabula says.

Best wishes,

Ulf

(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
April 26, 2020 11:19  
Posted by: @wvreeven

Vincent, I think your memory is failing you or your info outdated.

As I've worked in science during my entire career, I'm very used to criticism and welcome it. I can make wrong assumptions, but I'm the first to double check those when that is pointed out and then thank the one for pointing it out. I'm sure you didn't mean the above in a bad way, but I'd like discussions here to be respectful.

When I hover my mouse over the "LNC degree" drop down it specifies that with data from one night LNC probably will have little effect and will be visually hard to see.

Still, Ulf has asked an interesting question.

Yes, on a single session it indeed won't make a big difference, if at all. I just check it anyway as it doesn't hurt either and may still correct some small variations. If your system is not the best, I would not do that for a single session indeed. Me personally, I rarely have data from just 1 night to stack so it's something I always do anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
April 26, 2020 11:20  
Posted by: @un73

Thanks for the infos! Would be interesting to hear, what Mabula says.

Best wishes,

Ulf

He should be coming back to you shortly. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Neutron Star Customer
April 26, 2020 16:58  

@vindent-mod, sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I'll try to word my comments more carefully next time.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin
April 26, 2020 17:24  

No worries Wouter, I figured as much and thank you. 🙂

wvreeven liked
ReplyQuote
Share: