Light circle in cen...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Light circle in center of image

8 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@astrogee)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

This artifact just showed up in the stack after removing the LP filter from my setup. But the circle in the middle of the image does not look like light pollution nor vignetting - maybe stray light? Could this be a processing issue? The effect is stronger when I use background normalization.

(I have an Explore Scientific ED102CF scope with Explore Scientific flattener, and ASI294mc-pro.)

I don't see the circle in the sub (1st image), only in the stack (2nd image).

Screen Shot 2021 08 08 at 5.38.45 PM
Screen Shot 2021 08 08 at 5.42.59 PM

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Could you switch on "neutralize BG" on the panel on the right? Just to get a clearer picture. Are you using calibration files (bias, flats, darkflats, darks)?

ReplyQuote
(@astrogee)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Hi Vincent, thanks for the reply. I'm not using any calibration in these images but the results are similar with calibration. Attached is the image with neutralize BG set in normalization.

A friend though I had a some dew on my lens but this has happened both times trying no filter and I checked there was no dew - always have the dew heaters on in this humid weather. But it made me think, could it be IR light from the dew heater, since I don't have an IR filter in these shots?

NGC7822 1 St

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Good question, but hard to answer. Calibration data would show a bit more possibly. I would definitely look into taking those as I can also see amp-glow on the top right, which is dealt with with darks. It could be dew, maybe, as it's in the center of the image. At least I would take a very close look in the entire system for IR or other possible light sources.

ReplyQuote
(@astrogee)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Thanks, I’ll start from scratch and remove everything including FF and dew heaters and see what I find. 

ReplyQuote
(@tailspin45)
Red Giant

@astrogee Same camera, similar scope, same problem.

I've been very suspicious of dew/frost on camera window and even bought a $20 ZWO camera dew heater even though ZWO says it's not required because heat from the cooler is routed to the window. Didn't seem to help.

Was suspicious of a light leak in the image train, but everything is a screw fit now and the problem persisted.

Last two sessions I hung an opaque curtain to block two local light sources. Problem solved!

Apparently, that light was bouncing around in the dew shield and found it's way into scope and camera.

All that said, I'm still suspicious of dew or frost in the camera. I've been careful to cool to zero and then after a bit cool to -10ºC. So maybe that helped?

I don't cool to -20ºC because light pollution noise far exceeds camera noise even at -10.

astrogee reacted
ReplyQuote
(@astrogee)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tailspin45

All that said, I'm still suspicious of dew or frost in the camera. I've been careful to cool to zero and then after a bit cool to -10ºC. So maybe that helped?

Thanks @tailspin45, I think in this case, it should be somewhat sealed by the field flattener. But I'll keep an eye on camera dew. Lots of experiments to do on this one 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@tailspin45)
Red Giant

@astrogee I have a 0.6x reducer screwed in too; all the connections are threaded. But I still don't think it's air-tight.

I tried replacing the desiccant tablets too, but that didn't help either.

astrogee reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: