High dynamic range ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

High dynamic range images with APP

(@rickwayne)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

So if I'm doing something like M42 and have two sets of different exposures to accommodate dim nebulosity and areas so bright they'd put me past a full well, can I just throw those into integration and expect the result to somehow tone-map correctly, or do I have to produce two integrations and manually (e.g. Photoshop) mask in from each layer?

This topic was modified 4 months ago by Rick Wayne

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@rickwayne APP doesn't support HDR imaging yet. However, you can load all images into two sessions and let APP integrate per session. Then you can take the two integration results into an external tool and combine them.

ReplyQuote
(@rickwayne)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

Yep, that's what I usually do.  Just wondered if there were some cool range-extending magic of which I was unaware. Mabula's sneaky that way 😀 .

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@rickwayne Like I wrote, not yet 😉 An Mabula usually announces all new features when a release is done so he is less sneaky than you think.

ReplyQuote
(@tbar23)
Brown Dwarf Customer

I have a related question to this topic. If I were to integrate the different exposures in two sessions, is there a way to register them to make post-processing in a third party app easier?

So let's say I have a bunch of short exposures, but due to a flip or mediocre tracking my set of long exposures is not framed exactly the same way. Can I integrate each of those sets of lights independently but still register to the two sets with respect to each other?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@tbar23 Yes you can. After both integrations are done, you can load both resulting images as lights (don't load any calibration files) and then go to tab 4 and click the register button. Once done, you can click the "save registered frames" button and you're done. You could also opt to normalize them against each other in tab 5 and save the normalized frames. 

ReplyQuote
(@tbar23)
Brown Dwarf Customer

@wvreeven Thank you. One more question here - in an attempt to better understand multi-session processing, I went ahead and added all of lights/darks to an appropriate session and applied my flats and dark flats to all sessions (4 in total). I finished calibration and am working on Analyze Stars. 

However, if I think forward a few steps, I suspect I might have screwed up. I would like to integrate all 4 sessions separately with 4 independent final fit output files.

Can this be done?

ReplyQuote
(@tbar23)
Brown Dwarf Customer

@wvreeven Thank you. One more question here - in an attempt to better understand multi-session processing, I went ahead and added all of lights/darks to an appropriate session and applied my flats and dark flats to all sessions (4 in total). I finished calibration and am working on Analyze Stars. 

However, if I think forward a few steps, I suspect I might have screwed up. I would like to integrate all 4 sessions separately with 4 independent final fit output files.

Can this be done?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

Posted by: @tbar23

would like to integrate all 4 sessions separately with 4 independent final fit output files.

Can this be done?

Yes, see the top 2 options in tab 6. The first one allows you to instruct APP to integrate per channel (i.e. per filter), to integrate all channels together or to do both. The second on is for the same but then per session.

ReplyQuote
(@tbar23)
Brown Dwarf Customer

Posted by: @wvreeven
Posted by: @tbar23

would like to integrate all 4 sessions separately with 4 independent final fit output files.

Can this be done?

Yes, see the top 2 options in tab 6. The first one allows you to instruct APP to integrate per channel (i.e. per filter), to integrate all channels together or to do both. The second on is for the same but then per session.

I see that - perfect, thank you.

ReplyQuote
Share: