Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Help removing satellite trails  

RSS

(@mseningmail-com)
White Dwarf Customer
April 13, 2021 05:55  

I have 45 subs for Luminance layer, and after integration (average, weight by quality, filter=sigma rejection (kappa low=6.0, kappa high=3.0) I'm still seeing multiple satellite trails. The subs are well-dithered.

What's the solution for removing satellite trails entirely? Tuning sigma rejection somehow?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin
April 13, 2021 10:00  

@mseningmail-com The default settings in APP usually work very well. Have you tried leaving everything at their default values, including leaving "integrate" to "automatic" in tab 6, and see what the result is?

And what's the reason you're using sigma rejection? Have you tried winsorized or MAD rejection?

If all of that doesn't work then try lowering kappa high but be careful when doing so to avoid rejecting useful data as well.

ReplyQuote
(@mseningmail-com)
White Dwarf Customer
April 13, 2021 23:19  

None of that was enough to remove the satellites, so I just excluded the subs (about a quarter of them had satellite trails in them, some very bright).

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
April 14, 2021 09:52  

You can tune the Sigma rejection which might help actually, the kappa high can be lowered to, for instance, 2.0. At some point going too low will harm your data, but it should help to get rid of the trails.

ReplyQuote
(@mseningmail-com)
White Dwarf Customer
April 14, 2021 18:44  

Lowering Kappa High to 2.0 did it! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Share: