Heavy white gradien...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Heavy white gradient

5 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@nchampagne)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I am getting a very heavy white gradient on my final image. Im still pretty new and have no idea whats causing it or how to fix it in post processing. Can anyone help me out with some information on why this is happening or how to fix it.

IC 434 Horse Head St

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's a strong gradient indeed, any lights in the neighborhood? And are you using calibration files?

Apart from that, in APP there is a tool to reduce gradients. If you have your final image, you can go to tab 9, tools and do light pollution correction. Place a few small squares (like 3) close to the bottom, spread out. Then another 2 left and right from the object in the middle. And then 2 close to the top on the left and right. Click "calculate" and check what happens.

ReplyQuote
(@nchampagne)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Light Pollution Correction didnt really help Results of that are below, if anything made it worse. As for light pollution and calibration files. i was in the middle of a field (bortle class 4) with not ambient light sources around and i used Darks, Flats, and Bais frames (30 each). I processed the same way i have my other images, never gotten a gradient like this before and have no clue why.

Capture

This post was modified 3 years ago by Nicholas Champagne

ReplyQuote
(@nchampagne)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Thought i would go ahead and share, I found the solution to this issue. Turns out you put me on the right track, the issue was with my Flat frames. There was a gradient hidden in there. I reprocessed the image without the flats and it came out wayyy better.

IC 434 Horse Head Fix lpc cbg St

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah excellent, yes a flat that has an issue (or any other calibration data) causes issues like this indeed.

ReplyQuote
Share: