Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Having no luck

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Rich
(@rich)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Using a re- trial version (thanks Mabula) I seem to have run into a roadblock.  I can't get my frames to integrate without something going wrong.  Since it is 20.3 hours worth of multi-channel data its a long process.  The problem is at some point the computer crashes in different areas but I have no idea where.  All I know is the computer reboots and I have nothing to show for it except my MB,MD, and MF files.

Does not APP have some type of log files somewhere?  Event Viewer really doesn't show me much.

Thanks,

Rich

ReplyQuote
 Rich
(@rich)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Well, after many tries and many different errors I will have to go back to Deep Sky Stacker...sob.  I did have one success by turning off everything and doing the simplest integration possible on my data.  It did do it, but I found the LRGB masters to be very low SNR.  

So I once again tried upping the parameters but couldn't even get through analyze stars.  It would error out on different ones on each run.  In fact, sometimes the program would just close itself.  No errors, nothing...strange.  I saw it do this twice. 

The other times it would error out on a different sub and a different error each time.  

Maybe I'll try out APP in the next major release.

Thanks,

Rich

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: Rich

Using a re- trial version (thanks Mabula) I seem to have run into a roadblock.  I can't get my frames to integrate without something going wrong.  Since it is 20.3 hours worth of multi-channel data its a long process.  The problem is at some point the computer crashes in different areas but I have no idea where.  All I know is the computer reboots and I have nothing to show for it except my MB,MD, and MF files.

Does not APP have some type of log files somewhere?  Event Viewer really doesn't show me much.

Thanks,

Rich

@Rich, the problems that you describe are not normal at all I am afraid.

I have lots of test data from lots of APP users, and with almost all data everything runs fine. I don't know the specifics of your data, so perhaps you can share a couple of light frames so I can have a look? If something is wrong in APP, I do want to know off course and I need to see it to be able to fix it 😉

First of all: have you tried increasing the amount of memory that APP can use? By default, it only uses 2GB of Ram memory, you can adjust this with the top left CFG button. Change the amount and restart APP. For most datasets 4GB is enough, if you have more RAM, increase it a little bit more.

I can't get my frames to integrate without something going wrong. Since it is 20.3 hours worth of multi-channel data its a long process. The problem is at some point the computer crashes in different areas but I have no idea where.

Did you try running a first test with APP just with a small subset? That really is highly recommended I think, a small subset will run fast and together with a cup of tea/coffee you can simply track where it goes well and were it goes wrong, and it will help you understand what's happening in each processing step from 2) to 6).  The console will simply show you were it goes wrong. It doesn't save a log at the moment but that will soon come as an option as well.

Regarding the crashes that you describe: a computer that crashes and needs to reboot often like you indicate, really sounds like there is something wrong with either a crucial hardware part or hardware drivers are misconfigured/misinstalled or out-of-date. It  could very well be that APP is not to blame here. Crashes like you describe tend to happen more frequently if the hardware resources are used intensively, like APP will do.  To be clear on this, I never experience computer crashes when I run APP (also when not running APP), even with all CPU threads enabled and all memory assigned to APP. And I have run APP on lots of different systems and different Operating systems. I also get no reports from other users that their computer crashes when they run APP. So the crashes that you describe are not normal at all and definitely not typical for APP (I think). Can you share your hardware like CPU, mem, harddrive etc... ?

Well, after many tries and many different errors I will have to go back to Deep Sky Stacker...sob. I did have one success by turning off everything and doing the simplest integration possible on my data. It did do it, but I found the LRGB masters to be very low SNR.

An integration with default parameters should already be very good, really. 😉 Why not share some of your data so I, or others, can have a look at what's happening with your data? I am confident that here must be some clear explanation for why it doesn't seem to work for you 😉

Regarding errors/bugs, I know APP isn't bug free, but like I indicated, on a lot of datasets, APP simply runs and all is fine, producing excellent results with default settings... so if APP fails on your data, then probably it is related to some aspect of your data which I really want to have a look at, so I can fix this for you and other users.

I really want to help you and find the cause of all of your problems with APP.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: