FunkyMosaic Results

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

FunkyMosaic Results

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@whixson)
Black Hole
Topic starter  

Any idea what would cause a mosaic to look like a fisheye projection - see attached. It was created from three Ha masters, one from a different camera. When I tried to include 3 O3 frames, I also got a message "Please supply more than one frame for integration"

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Black Hole
Topic starter  

Here are more details. Over the last couple years I've imaged the Crescent Nebula 3 times, twice with an ASI 1600 and once a QSI 690. All three times I used Ha and O3 filters. Once I got APP I decided to try to integrate the three sets, both as a mosaic and as a simple combination like the Rosette Nebula with 5 sets of data. I ran a Multiblend Multisession combine with over 300 lights and 200 cal frames.  Worked fine, got 6 masters. Following the tutorial, I tried to then integrate the masters. I loaded all 6 masters into the Load module but it didn't recognize them as Lights. I had to turn off the Identify Masters and Integrations check box and then it worked. I ran a mosaic integration and everything rand fine - analysis, alignment, and normalization - on the 6 masters.  Then I got a message "Can't integrate one frame", it seems APP was ignoring 2 of the O3 frames. I ran just the Ha and no problems, but opening the Integration it was clear the mosaic had run into a problem. See attached image. I did have same camera and optics turned off, the distortion correction turned on, and alignment scale set to 10 as recommended.

Edit: I did NOT use LNC on the individual frames, and I only had MBB set at 10%, when there's really 50% plus/minus. But in the big mosaic on the APP home page, some panels overlap entirely I think? Maybe just a normal integration would be better? but even so I'd need to understand what's happening to tell APP there's only one O3 panel.

A note: these really weren't a true mosaic - there was a lot of overlap, maybe 50% or more. Star detection only found a little over 500 stars per frame. But registration did run ok with less than .3 pixel error. Star sizes did vary quite a bit, up to 5 pixels. I was doing this just for practice but I would like to understand maybe what went wrong and why APP was ignoring 2 of the 3 O3 masters for Integration?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mm, I may have seen this once before a long time ago. Just as a quick check, could some frames be flipped vertically? It shouldn't really cause this I think, but since you used various setups, it might.... ? You can put a checkmark on for that in in the "register" (4) tab. Maybe check it first with a few subs to test of both camera's. Since the overlap is so big, you can actually relax the alignment scale to, say, 8. If this all doesn't work I need to tag Mabula again. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Black Hole
Topic starter  

Yes one camera could be flipped. I'll try that. I'll turn on LNC 1/1 for the individual subs and set MBB higher 25% say. Also reduce the lights integrated t0 80%. But I still don't understand why APP couldn't use 2 of the O3 panels in Integration, unless it's due to one of the settings...

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Black Hole
Topic starter  

Figured most things out. APP didn’t recognize my O3 panels because the filter info wasn’t found in the header. Once I explicitly assigned the frames to O3 it was fine. I changed MBB to 40% and no more fisheye mosaics.

I did get sort of a seam in one area. It ran vertically about a third of the way across the frame. It was like a vertical band stretched across about 10 pixels. Stars were stretched horizontally across the band with points at each end, like little barbells. Same thing happened whether I registered Normal or Mosaic. Frankly I don’t even think it was on a border between frames, just a frame got stretched at one point. But I have to say it was cool to get it to work as well as it did, with no intent ever that I would merge these images. 

Wayne

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I think I've seen that stretching as well before, most likely it can be solved with a few little tweaks, Mabula (@mabula-admin) has a lot more experience with those cases. Problem for me to be able to give advice on it, is that it always worked. 🙂 It should definitely work really well, in cases when different data is combined and most certainly when you are actually going for a mosaic from the start. But yes, to get to results like this, it took me days with other software.

ReplyQuote
Share: