Dark Flat Frames

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Dark Flat Frames

4 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
 Tim
(@tim)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I downloaded APP earlier today and  have been very impressed. I have an ASI-1600mm - cool and many users have had a bad experience with the BIAS frames it produces and have switched to using Dark Flats instead. I was wondering if APP can handle dark flats and if so how? There isn't a separate tab to load them. Thanks again - APP looks great!

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Tim, thank you for the nice compliment.

Yes, APP can certainly handle dark flats (I use it myself with both DLSR and ASI1600 😉 ). They should be treated as darks for your flats.

So just load the dark flats for your flat calibration as darks. Make sure you use the same exposure time as your flats. If your flats have different exposure times (some photographers have this with ACP capture for instance) then increase the exposure tolerance for the master dark. This is a percentage.

Let me know if this works for you.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
 Tim
(@tim)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Thanks Mabula, I finally got around to processing an image with dark flats. I loaded the dark flats with the flats during the calibration phase. The individual flat frames showed a D beside them indicating - I think - that  they were treated as darks for the flats. However, APP also produced a master Dark Flat as well as a master flat. So, does the master flat already have the dark flat data included or do I use both the master flat and the master dark flat for the next phase?

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Tim,

Yes, the D next to the flats indicate that a master dark flat is subtracted in the creation of the master flat. So the master flat has the master dark flat already subtracted.

So for calibration of the lights, the masterdarkflat is not to be used. Make sure the lights are calibrated with a masterdark (or masterbias) for the lights, the masterflat and possibly a BPM 😉

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: