Cropping a mosaic

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Cropping a mosaic

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dkoslicki)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm working on a very large mosaic (94 frames) and have already integrated each panel/frame and can successfully form the mosaic, though it takes a few days of compute to do so. The problem I am having is that it keeps getting down sampled by a factor of 0.66. I know that's a technical limitation, sadly, so I want to try to minimize the amount of black space around the mosaic and hence reduce the amount it's getting down sampled.

I know I can crop individual frames, but what I want to do is, after registration, define the crop box and have the mosaic be created in that. As an illustration, I've attached a previous iteration of this mosaic along with a red crop box. You'll see how it overlaps with multiple frames in a way that would make it extremely difficult to crop the individual mosaic panels.

Any ideas how I could do this?

1 2 LNC all even with do not use and suspect scale 0.8 RGB session 1 St

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@cheche)
Hydrogen Atom

9668 image

I am also encountering a similar 'issue' when it comes to landscape mosaics. Would be extremely nice to be able to crop the registered images before the integration

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi David @dkoslicki and Chester @cheche,

Thank you very much for sharing this issue. At the moment, this is not possible yet I am afraid, but I can see the use case clearly !

You can use the composition mode of crop in 6) integrate, to have a limited field of view of only the reference frame and that is not what is happening here.

So I will add to our todo list to make it possible to crop the whole field of view of the full composition mode 😉

Thank you very much for this.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@cheche)
Hydrogen Atom

@mabula-admin Awesome! Thank you for the reply. 

APP has been by far the easiest to use stitching tool for landscape astrophotography because of its excellent registration and local normalisation(compared to ICE and PTGUI), so this feature would be an absolute game changer for this usecase!

ReplyQuote
(@dkoslicki)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi @madula-admin, that's great to hear it's on the todo list! I must say I really appreciate how the APP dev folks continue such a pace of improvements, new features added, etc.

ReplyQuote
Share: