Crazy feature reque...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Crazy feature request for Alt/Az imagers.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@readyjetty)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

Just a crazy feature request for us Alt/Az imagers.   Over an imaging session I get a lot of field rotation and, with short subs, a lot of frames.  Earlier it was suggested that I split my stacking up into chunks (say 8 stacks, each using 1/8th of the frames) and then stack the results of the outputs.  This worked great because each sub stack only had some field rotation, not too much and data handling by the program was much better... it was just faster.

So a possible future feature:  In the integration allow a "Stack as X sub stacks" feature that then just divides the total "N" lights up in X sets, each using N/X subs, and goes off and stacks each one and saving the unstretched result.  This would save me doing all this manually.

I think more and more people will be using low cost Alt/Az scopes for imaging because with modern low read noise CMOS cameras and modern computers, it can produce very nice results... but you shoot short exposures (lots of frames) and have field rotation (very large final output frames), and dividing it up automatically eliminates the risk of attempting one giant mega stacking.  It would make APP the goto stacker for Alt/Az systems like mine.

Also, now that it's getting closer to Christmas :-), I'll add one more related feature to my Santa list:  In the integration option to crop to the reference frame, for rotated fields, the reference frame isn't always the perfect one, so if you could have a "reference + 10% or +20% border" sized area for integration, it would still avoid a massive field rotation/field drift explosion in integration field size but would provide some extra border region to integrate into, some of which can be cropped later once it's clear what is high quality and what isn't.

Just a thought... I'm sure you have a zillion other features more important.

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Steven Miller

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Steven,

It's always great to hear about feature requests, so no problem! 🙂 This one wouldn't be high on the list I think as I'm not sure many photographers go for Alt/Az, especially because of the issue of field rotation. Stacking subsets automatically, it may be interesting but only for this specific case and not very hard to perform manually right?

ReplyQuote
Share: