Calibration works g...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Calibration works great in 1.062, doesn't in 1.063

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi,
I'm having difficulty in using 1.063 vs 1.062 - so much so that I reverted to 1.062.

Calibration under both 1.062 and 1.063, using the same Flats, DarkFlats, Bias, Darks and Lights

Flats 20
DarkFlats 20
Bias 20
Darks 10

All using the same gain (I know that's not a requirement). I select Median for all my calibration frames. Under BadPixelMap I choose a hot pixels kappa of 4.0 and cold pixels % 25.

Under 1.062: My BPM looks normal (for what I'm used to). Find this attached as AA1062_BPM1.png

Now, I load up 1.063 and put in all the same values and files and I end up with the attached BPM screenshot: AA1063_BPM1.png

The difference: APP 1.062 has just over 3.4% bad pixels,  APP 1.063 is over 99.9% bad pixels.

APP1062 BPM1
APP1063 BPM1

Here is the output when it is processing the Flats, so it's something to do with that I assume (all 20 entries would be this: NAN - Not a Number):

16:24:29 - GENERAL IMAGE LOADER: loading frame /nvme/Astronomy/Captures/ASI294MC/CALIBRATION/FLATS_CLS-CCD/17_43_09/FLATS_CLS-CCD_00009.fits
16:24:31 - 2) CALIBRATE: Adaptive Data Pedestal: disabled
16:24:51 - GENERAL IMAGE LOADER: frame /nvme/Astronomy/Captures/ASI294MC/CALIBRATION/FLATS_CLS-CCD/17_43_09/FLATS_CLS-CCD_00009.fits was loaded successfully
16:24:51 - 2) CALIBRATE: loaded flat 9 of 20 flats, starting analysis...
16:24:51 - 2) CALIBRATE: writing flat 9 of 20 to flat file mapping...
16:24:52 - 2) CALIBRATE: got analytical results of 9 of 20 flats.
16:24:52 - 2) CALIBRATE: location of flat 0 dispersion of flat NAN

What am I doing wrong?

ReplyQuote
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

For the BPM, this is created from Flats and Darks. I was concentrating on my Flats (because Darks are easy, right?) but it turns out my Darks were full of noise. FULL. This was an ASI294MC Pro cooled camera so that shouldn't have been right. At the moment I'm not sure where the problem is, but I've 5 good frames, then the noise increases - as if the temperature is increasing. The reported temperature (in SharpCap 3.1 and 3.2 Beta) maintains a nice -5C (that I set) however I don't believe it is correct. Trying again. Will report on my findings. But it is my Darks that were the issue here.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @itarchitectkev,

Thank you for reporting this.

I am aware of a problem with creating the Bad Pixel Map with bad column detection ON. For you sensor, I think it's safe to turn this off. Can you try that and let me know it the BPM looks good again?

This particular problem has been fixed in the past few days and I will release a new version soon with this fix. See first bullet at

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/release-information/astro-pixel-processor-1-064-preparing-next-release/

Is that flat analysis from calibration of the flats with that wrongly created BPM ?

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@itarchitectkev)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Thanks Mabula, that one option disabled has allowed me get a good BPM now. I've just done a quick test though so will probably look at tuning and improving some options tomorrow. I now have about 1000 Dark Frames collected using a variety of techniques that I can delete it seems, (though I think there is a battle - separate to this with those, but that's not your problem!).

ReplyQuote
Share: