Building a new PC -...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

Building a new PC - £1500 budget - going around in circles as to what to get

(@cheekywagwan)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Hi all - posted a few days ago about getting a Xeon based ex-server machine for processing - but am now looking at the route of building my own machine to spec. The thing is most builder websites or you tubers are creating gaming pcs or workstations. I've no idea what to get or what to build for an astronomy number cruncher. A core I9 12th Gen or AMD xxxx series with 128gb of ram is going to process in no time but will cost the Earth. Does anyone have any examples of scalable system builds for APP/Photoshop processing - ie start with 32gb RAM and build up - add more drives later etc. Is a good graphics card important?? I'm utterly confused.

thanks for any help!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

I would probably go for 64GB of memory, is there a real use case that you would require 128? Are you planning large mosaics for example? If not, you can turn that down a bit.

Most desktops you built yourself can be configured as you like, so you could built a system that has 32GB of memory and if you have a motherboard that has more space and support for more, you can add extra modules yourself in the future. The new CPU's from Intel are quite nice, again if they have more cores I would pick that one (it's always stated with those cpu's in the spec sheet). A graphics card is not very important yet, support for that is complicated and will be in a future APP version. So you can get a decent one, but don't break the bank on that. Normally you can also upgrade to a faster one, later on. That's the nice thing with self assembled computers.

But I unfortunately can't help you further with that as we really have to focus on the software side on the forum. My advice would be to get someone local that has experience building computers and make it that way. If a computer is built for gaming or not really doesn't matter much. The only real difference there is that they'll probably have a more expensive GPU and less focus on more cores on the CPU. For APP, more cores is better, memory is great to have and get M.2 SSD drives for processing (one of 2TB for processing and 1 smaller one for the OS).

ReplyQuote
(@cheekywagwan)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

No ... thank you! This has been more than enough information - every build I have seen has been from a gaming perspective or server use. I just needed to know what kit to buy to build my own, but it was like buying car parts for Rally driving when everyone either has you tube videos for Formula 1 or every day driving. So this has helped a lot!  Thank you! 

🙂 

ReplyQuote
Share: