BPM for lights with...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

BPM for lights with different exposure lengths

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@chrismarshall800gmail-com)
Brown Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula

Using APP 1.061 and getting great results. I have a query about creating BPMs

Can a BPM created with darks of one exposure time be used on lights of a different exposure time? Or should I create separate BPMs using darks of say 300s and 600s to match the corresponding lights. I notice that the header data, using hot pixel kappa=3.0 and cold pixel %=25, give %HPs of 0.3 and 0.9 respectively for 300s and 600s darks.  Is this a reasonable level for my ZWO ASI071C? Certainly the visual number of hot pixels seems quite a bit less than in the BPMs.

Also do I need to match the sensor temperature when creating BPMs to the lights I will use them on

Many thanks

Chris Marshall

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

A Bad Pixel Map can be used for all your data and for a very long time as well. No need to match anything.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Chris @chrismarshall800gmail-com,

Indeed, like Vincent @vincent-mod indicates, simply create 1 effective Bad Pixel Map using a nice set of darks and flats and you will be able to use it on all your data shot with the sepecific camera.

You can see the Bad Pixel Map as a map of how the sensor in your camera works. It's not dependent on a ISO/gain value and not on exposure time.

To create the Bad Pixel Map, you will get better results if you use:

• more darks
  • longer exposure times
  • higher temperatures

The goal is to get good statistics on the linearity of the pixels on your camera's sensor. With more darks, longer exposures, and higher temperatures, you get better statistiscs 😉

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: