Blank black image a...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Blank black image after integration

18 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
(@javrolijk)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello,

I've been trying to integrate some images from last year with images from this year of a galaxy M100. I've always used the same camera and telescope but sometimes change between light pollution filters. After adding all corresponding Light, Flat DarkFlat, and Dark frames I'm currently getting a blank black screen with no data after integration. I've tried stacking multiple times but with no luck. When I integrate data from two consecutive nights on other targets it does integrate successfully. I'm running the latest version of AstroPixel Processor version 1.079. Here's a screenshot of APP right after integration.

Annotation 2020 04 27 005446

Your prompt reply is highly appreciated. Thanks

Jairo

ReplyQuote
 Davm
(@davm)
Red Giant

Try pressing the button top left: OPENGL4. This happens with my 2011 imac with Mavericks.

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@mestutters)
Neutron Star

Hi Jairo,

I strongly suspect that something has gone badly wrong during your integration.   I think it strange/very wrong  that in the FITS header all the background and dispersion fields are showing zero values while all the noise reduction fields are showing Infinity values!   I am not a statistician but to get an infinity level of noise reduction I think every pixel would have to have the same value, eg zero / black,  which is what you seem to be seeing in the viewer.   The only way to get such a result that I can think of is if your calibration frames exactly matched your lights such that the calibrated light was entirely smooth.

I guess if you repeat your processing and end up with the same result then APP or your data has  a fault.   If it works OK then maybe it is a user  error or some transient fault.

Mike

This post was modified 4 years ago 4 times by mestutters

ReplyQuote
(@javrolijk)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mestutters

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately, I tried integrating the files 3 times and final integration remains blank/ black screen. The histogram shows that it appears to have almost no data. However, when I inspect all lights and calibration frames, they appear to be in good order. Most settings in APP are set on automatic.

Any other thought about what this could be? Would it be possible I can upload the files for someone to test/verify?

ReplyQuote
(@mestutters)
Neutron Star

Hi,

I guess Mabula will need to take a look but to make progress in the meantime you might wish to try processing your lights from last year separately from your latest lights.   You can then combine the two sets of results by reloading the channel integrations as lights and running through the APP workflow once again.

Maybe while doing this, one set of lights may show this blank integration problem which would help narrow down the problem area.

Best of luck

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmm, yes this is difficult to analyze like this. Would you be able to upload the files that are causing this issue? You can send them to our server and use login/password: appuser. Please create a directory named "javrolijk-blackintegration".

ReplyQuote
(@javrolijk)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the response. I've uploaded both sessions to the server which can be found here.

Annotation 2020 04 28 142201

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

Jairo

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Excellent, thank you Jairo. I'll download the data and will come back to it within 2 days, probably tomorrow!

ReplyQuote
(@javrolijk)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

Hi Vincent,

I hope all is well and in good health. Just wondering if there is any update on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Jairo

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Jairo,

Huge apologies! I've been out of service for the past week. I'll get to your data asap!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Working on it now. What strikes me already are the darkflats of 5.53 seconds, the signal isn't there. While the 8.25 seconds does produce a nice bias-noise pattern.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

So I've left out the darkflats, seems they may be the cause somehow. Not sure why, but given the strange 5.53 seconds data, something during capturing or processing via the software you used...? The following I got as a result, combining both sessions; The flats might also be a bit ineffective, so those might need improvement.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 13 30 41

javrolijk reacted
ReplyQuote
(@javrolijk)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vincent-mod

So I've left out the darkflats, seems they may be the cause somehow. Not sure why, but given the strange 5.53 seconds data, something during capturing or processing via the software you used...? The following I got as a result, combining both sessions; The flats might also be a bit ineffective, so those might need improvement.

Screenshot from 2020 05 11 13 30 41

Vincent,

Many thanks for the support you've provided. I'll verify my flats and darkflats during another session.

Kind regards,

Jairo

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

No problem, if you still have issues, happy to help.

ReplyQuote
(@kempd)
Brown Dwarf

@javrolijk I've just had this very issue this morning after stacking lights, darks, flats and dark flats. Never happened before. Will look at leaving the dark flats out and see what happens

Brian Fulda reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kempd)
Brown Dwarf

I tried doing the just the darks with the lights and same result so I'm guessing I have some learning to do with my new camera. ASI 183 MC pro.

ReplyQuote
(@absorbingphotons)
Brown Dwarf

I'm also experiencing this same issue. ZWO ASI071MC Pro. Removing the darks allow the final stacked image to appear, but at the sacrifice of having no darks applied. My darks and lights have the same gain and offset.

Please fix!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@absorbingphotons ofcourse we're going to have a look at it, please know we always take things seriously, no need to immediately think otherwise.

Brian Fulda reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: