Best method to do O...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Best method to do OSC Ha + Luminance combination (and Ha integration by itself)?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@markm75)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I thought i had a handle on this but now i'm not so sure.

I have the asi294mc pro + hyperstar v3 + efw with filters (ha 31mm and L-enhance 1.25 basically) and a target i did Ha for and also L-enhance Lum.  (roughly 4x the data for Ha per what most said should be done for useful ha on osc).

I've integrated the Ha frames by setting the load tab to be Hydrogen alpha.  The resultant integration is Ha that is listed as grayscale.  I assumed this was good to go.  (i initially tried to do both ha and lum in the same working session and it would throw an index error on normalization).

Then i also did the integration separately for the lum/rgb in another APP session, setting the load parameter to check off CFA and RGGB (for color extraction).  I got that integration.

Then i opened a whole new App session and add both frames after first setting CFA again.

I tried to skip the normalization (it was mentioned that this part wasnt needed) and instead tried to just do a registration and "save registration files".. this time (if cfa is checked) it then throws an index error or similar. 

If i dont have cfa checked then it succeeds but when i go to #9 and do combined rgb it says the two file sets are incompatible. 

At least i think i have this outline of events correct so far.

Any ideas what the proper method might be here?  And in the end, is it necessary to play with the HA files sliders to get the correct boost (of red) for the final image?

Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
(@markm75)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Ok i've found some success, listing the steps here (i think they are correct, though OSC ha comes in gray and only one channel for me when it works):

Step1:  Do the Ha integration procedure per normal using all subs:

Check off force CFA on tab 0 (also select ha in the pull down not auto), then go through integration, fine tuning, cleanup, perfecting, save that image (ends up a 32bit grayscale image)

Step2:  Do the OSC regular color procedure per normal:
Check off force CFA on tab 0, then go through integration, fine tuning, cleanup, perfecting, save that image (ends up a 32bit RGB image)

Step3:

Bring the results of step1 and step2 (two files) into a new session, do NOT check off force CFA this time, uncheck autodetect masters
Open up Registration, click register, then click save registered files.

Step 4:

Open combine RGB
Open each of the files from Step3 that are ending in -reg

The color one should open 3 times, each for red green blue.
The Ha one should be set to either custom or Ha and only prompt one time (one channel) if this is correct.

Step 5:

Take the red slider on ha to 50% and the Xx top slider on Ha up a bit to increase the red hue’s in the image.

EDIT: while the above does work, i'm not so sure its "correct", the end result was only marginally better than just rgb by itself without adding in Ha

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by markm75

ReplyQuote
(@lazac)
Brown Dwarf

I think a decent user manual would have saved you (and us) days of headache, trial-and-error and would give us the possibility to do things right. Period.

I wonder when that comes.

ReplyQuote
Share: