Any issues with usi...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Any issues with using a Server with APP (Xeon processor)?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cheekywagwan)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hi there - I'm going to build a dedicated processing computer for APP and it's been suggested to get a refitted Server machine with large amounts of ram and a Xeon processor, rather than a Intel i core processor based machine as they are built around gaming etc. Will there be any issues with APP and this sort of machine?

Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

I wouldn't say that the Intel core chips are only meant for gaming. More important for APP is the amount of cores and total memory. Mabula himself uses a Threadripper machine, all these are perfectly capable of running APP. I don't have experience with APP on a Xeon machine, but I'd assume that should work. You can always download the trial version and test it first before you buy the hardware.

ReplyQuote
(@cheekywagwan)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  
Posted by: @vincent-mod

I wouldn't say that the Intel core chips are only meant for gaming. More important for APP is the amount of cores and total memory. Mabula himself uses a Threadripper machine, all these are perfectly capable of running APP. I don't have experience with APP on a Xeon machine, but I'd assume that should work. You can always download the trial version and test it first before you buy the hardware.

Hey - ok thanks - already own the software - it's superb - but currently running on a Core i7 7th gen 16gb laptop - a recent 3 pane 26c image took a lot of grind. So want to move everything off laptop to a server upstairs and use the laptop for remoting into it and the telescope PC. I don't know a lot about cores in processors, just i3 to the i9 range. Know nothing about Xeon processors. Definitely looking at 128gb ram.

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Then I would advice to get some external advice on these systems first as these can be quite pricey. I would advice to also look at a regular desktop machine with some of the latest Intel chips or AMD threadripper. The more cores (this is specified with the chips), the more APP can perform calculations in parallel. A lot of ram is always nice to have as well, this may be something that a Xeon is better suited for, but that I have no experience with.

ReplyQuote
Share: