1st time trying APP...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

1st time trying APP Mosaic; running into some big issues

7 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@paul-from-northern-mi)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Yesterday I tried making a mosaic of 2 sets of images.  I was happy initially to see that the integration worked.  This changed when I looked at the stars which had a strange whirling pattern.

Screen Shot 2022 08 05 at 10.19.03 PM

I submitted my project using the settings recommended in the video on the APP site, (I believe by Sarah Wagner) but it is possible that I missed something.

After this I looked on the forum here and could see that others ran into this same general issue.

Wouter had a set of setting recommendations that I went back to and applied to my project.

The project became overwhelming all of a sudden.  It ran overnight on my 2018 MacBook Pro and still is only 10% through the Registration phase.

Might there be something wrong that I am doing?  I would ultimately like to stitch perhaps 6 to 8 images together but this wouldn't be viable.

I will wait perhaps an entire day until this finishes, but I am wondering whether there might be a better way?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@paul-from-northern-mi Hi Paul,

How many frames do you have per panel? If there are a lot then APP will try to register each of them, which takes a LONG time. In such cases you may be better off processing the individual panels first and then combining the integrated panels into a mosaic.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@paul-from-northern-mi)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Yes, I may have to consider this.

I have 200 frames being processed right now.

Would there be a drop off of quality by doing separate processing and integrating in a separate project?  Would this be done same method as before or could you drop the need for a calibration sequence?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@paul-from-northern-mi Once the panels have been integrated, you can load them as lights without calibration files. There may be a slight drop in quality but it will be minimal and barely noticeable if at all.

Paul Imm reacted
ReplyQuote
(@paul-from-northern-mi)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Just out of curiosity; should a set of 200 images result in likely over 2 days of processing?  Presently it is at 3000 out of 21,000 registration tasks.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@paul-from-northern-mi That depends on the registration settings. When using 500 stars, it should be much faster than that. When using 2500 stars or more it may take that long. That's why I advised to split up the processing and process the individual panels first to registration goes much faster.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-from-northern-mi)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Yes, combining 2 already processed images in a dedicated mosaic file did a lot better than putting everything together with the processing.  I couldn't even see the seams or difference in brightness.

I am a glutton for punishment but I would like to try adding more tiles to make a more expansive mosaic.

Thank you!

Paul

ReplyQuote
Share: