Is it worth upgradi...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Is it worth upgrading to Apple M1?

8 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@nshepro)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Hello, 

I currently use a Dell optioned 9020m with 16 gb ram and intel i7 4th gen processor (2.2ghz) with 8 virtual threads. For $1200, I can upgrade to a 16 gb ram Apple M1 laptop. Hopefully there are some people using the Apple M1 and can testify to pros and cons of the computer and running APP. Thank you. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Hi Nicholas,

Is it worth to upgrade, that is a good question. They obviously are very different machines, you'd have to get used to working with MacOS for instance. The M1 is surprisingly fast in general and in that sense would be a nice upgrade to your current system. APP does work on the M1 and reports I've heard are that it's running well. However, it's not yet native to the M1, which means it can run faster and better when we do release the native version (this will take a bit of time still as we're waiting on the M1 release of the Java JDK we're using)

Downsides of the M1 I think are; you can't upgrade the memory, so the 16GB will remain the max and you require dongles for other ports you might need besides the few usb-c ports available. Other than that it's very nice, not for me at the moment, but not bad at all. Personally I'd wait for the update to the M1 line, which might be at the end of this year.

ReplyQuote
 ah
(@ah_astro)
Main Sequence Star

Hi,

I had trouble loading dng files using app1.083-beta2 on a apple mac mini M1, I don't know if 1.082 has the same issue, or even if it has anything to do with app. I understand this is going to be solved and had to do with the java kernel? Not sure. But it failed for me.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@ah_astro That's likely, depending on the issue, another problem. Probably unrelated to the M1 itself.

ReplyQuote
 ah
(@ah_astro)
Main Sequence Star

@vincent-mod I don't know what exactly causes the error. I was told it had to do with the Libraw library and Apple not trusting it's old development system on it's M1 computers. Mabula told me app needed adaption regarding this. I have no information if this has been patched.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah, ok, so maybe something specific to the dng format then and libraw. Might be something, but I didn't hear more about that, probably because most use fits to work with.

ReplyQuote
 ah
(@ah_astro)
Main Sequence Star

@vincent-mod

Possibly,

Screenshot 2021 06 06 at 11.38.43

I interpreted Mabula that (for the current M1, non native application) anything using libRaw (using Rosetta) was bound to fail. dng, arw....

I agree that it is very likely that if fits had been a problem it would be a more common error.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah ok, that might make sense indeed. Good you pointed that out! Fits is something APP does internally so that would explain why that works.

ReplyQuote
Share: