APP no longer start...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] APP no longer starts

77 Posts
5 Users
12 Likes
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Since yesterday I have some problems with APP. When I start APP only the console window comes up. The APP window is only over the task bar visible and stays white. Nothing happens on a click on it. I've recently made no changes on my sytem. I reinstalled APP several times, even with newer and older versions. I checked my firewall and virus scanner settings, my app permissions. But nothing helps so far. I saw that there was a windows update 2 days ago on my computer. Maybe this causes the problem. What can I do else?

Many thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's definitely not good, is there any other software package you have behaving badly?

edit: I have the latest Windows 11 updates and no issue at the moment, which APP version are you using?

ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Vincent,

thanks for your reply. I have the latest version APP 2.0.0-beta22 installed. But I tried earlier versions yesterday without success. All other programmes are running as usual. It's strange because I have not installed any new things or changed anything since the last start (except the automatic windows update).

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's not something we've seen with others indeed, so I think it's somehow system related. Do you have any other Java related software that you know of?

ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I have no deeper computer knowledge. Unfortunately I can't tell you, if I have other Java related software. But I can say, that there were no changes (new programmes, settings etc.) to the last successful APP-start.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Just to be sure, when you reinstalled APP, you did remove APP first by uninstalling? When you say you checked virus scanners and such, did you try to turn those off as well?

ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Yes, sure. I will give it another try at the weekend. I will everything turn off that might have an input on it. Maybe I overlooked something.

ReplyQuote
(@technohell)
Main Sequence Star

I have close to the same problem since I have a complet new system.

I'm running Windos 10 (newest Updates) and an 13700k with DDR5 64 GB, PCIe 4.0 SSDs and GTX 4060ti.

I found out, the programm is starting.... but with a loooooong delay.

After a fresh restart there is no problem an APP starts instant.

BUT when i did some work befor or surfed in web etc. there is a delay betwenn 20 and 40 Minutes to start APP.

I can't even see any action of APP during the delay phase there is nothing in Task-manager or else where to find.

Any idears?

I realy don't get it...

Have a nice day, Sven

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Very interesting, we haven't had this experience yet. I'll forward this long delay issue to Mabula as well.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @rouvinho209 and @technohell,

Thank you both for reporting these issues.

This all sounds like some buggy windows updates somehow, but I can't be sure at the moment.

I will update my windows machines to see if I can produce the problem as well 😉 and will let you know.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @rouvinho209 and @technohell,

We have an indication that the development platform in beta22 might cause the issue somehow. Can you try the following test version for windows and let us know if this solves the issue or not?

https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/2.0.0-beta22-test/AstroPixelProcessor-2.0.0-beta22-test-Windows-64-bit.zip

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin

thank you for taking the time to solve the problem. I just tried the new version, unfortunately the error persists. Only the process console opens.

ReplyQuote
(@technohell)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin

I tested it. I started the programm at 13:10:37 and it poped up at 13:12:42...

Still not a big problem for me, but I guees it is not the way you want it to behave.

The background programs are

MSI Center (Mainboard controll)

Samsung Magican (SSD controll)

Logitech G Hub (Mouse controll)

Ingenuety HyperX  (Headset controll)

Only Windows Defender (no extra VScan)

Win 10 Pro 22H2 Sytembuild  19045.3393 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19044.1000.0

Good luck to fight against Windows. 😉 🙄 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Sven @technohell,

Thank you, i am still investigating this problem. It is a very weird one. I have 3 windows test systems, Intel, AMD, windows 10 and windows 11 and on all those machines APP starts normally with all the latest windows updates as well. The application stays responsive at all times whatever I do and it starts within seconds.

The big delay on your system must be caused by something on the system would be my first thought and it seems logical when no one else reports this issue. Just to be sure, did you try with windows defender off? I have not tried this, because on all my system i have dedicated anti-virus software. Your issue is different than the one reported by @rouvinho209.

I would suspect @rouvinho209 problem to be caused by anti-virus or anti-malware software firing a false positive while app is starting and thus blovking further startup.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@stastro)
Black Hole

How was the application installed?  "Only for me" or "Installed for everyone".  I found that if I installed the application as "Only for me" I would run into a similar issue as to what you are experiencing.  Sometimes the application would not load up at all.  Even a remove and re-install with "Only for me" would produce the same result.  Only after I installed as "Everyone" does the application work correctly.

ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@stastro Thank you Simon for your comment. I have installed it with "for everyone". In the meantime I disabled all apps like Windows Defender and checked the app permissions. But even that does not fix the problem. Unfortunately I don't know what to do now. It is strange because APP is the only program that does not run. I hope the problem will be solved with the next major Windows update.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @rouvinho209,

Thanks @stastro, that is also a bit weird, thanks for the information.

Is the problem still there with this new 2.0.0-beta23 release that we released today ?

What we can try to do to have a better understanding of this problem is that I create an APP version that start to log on system.out while starting up. If you start APP from a command prompt, we will be able to see at which part in APP startup the program seems to halt. So let me know and I will send you a test version so we can test this 😉

Oh, another thing which is good to test. Can you disable your internet connection before starting APP? Does it start up normally then?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin many thanks for your advice! I tested it with the new version and also without internet connection. But unfortunately it still doesn't start correctly. The test version you mentioned would be great 🙂 Many thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @rouvinho209 & @technohell,

What we can try to do to have a better understanding of this problem is that I create an APP version that start to log on system.out while starting up. If you start APP from a command prompt, we will be able to see at which part in APP startup the program seems to halt. So let me know and I will send you a test version so we can test this 😉

Okay, I will prepare such a version right now and will share a download link with instructions later today 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin That's perfect, thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

The test version is nearly ready, I should have it for your tomorrow 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

This is the test version APP 2.0.0-beta24-test1, it will popup a separate window with startup details while the application starts and once finished, will present the startup log in an information window which should show as at what stage the application has trouble starting up on your systems. So please install it and start APP and report back how the startup log looks like, so we can better understand the cause of the slow startup and then fix it 😉 !

StartUp log

https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/2.0.0-beta24-test1/AstroPixelProcessor-2.0.0-beta24-test1-Windows-64-bit.zip

Mabula

This post was modified 8 months ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@technohell)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin

Oh my dear.... I have some bad news...

1st some good, I realy don't care about the starting lag... the PC is so much fawster now... I can wait to start.

2nd... It's not working. Even the "new" window is not working like it shoud...

I did some snapshots with phone when I saw it's maybe not working.

Fotos:

- Start APP1: 1 Minute after I started APP.

- Still waiting: After some minutes of waiting.

- Done1: After APP finaly started.

Then I saved the consol output. (234833-0) and started again.

- Netx try2: Task manager and Recource open (nothing in) next to new APP-Start window.

The new window pops up instant after I start APP.

I placed the hock to "continuous log output" and started again.

Same delay like the 2 times before.

I can open different programm during the delay.

Photoshop forces APP to start... it looks like. (I tried it four times, every time I open up photoshop cs2, APP opens up instant at the end loading sequence of CS2, and a micro second after APP CS2 is finaly there.)

BUT the continuous log output was unhooked after reopening... but I said "Yes" when I closed the programm (so it should save the settings...right?).

I saved the console output again (232205-0) and...

Here it is.

I hope the information helps you.

Wish you good luck.

The rest of APP counts (for me) and it works fine.

THX for that.

Still waiting1
Start APP1
Next try2
Done1

ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin It's the same with me as with Sven. The log window opens, but it remains empty.

Screenshot 2023 09 20 035102

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Thank you very much for testing.

Oh my... even this does not work well? I tested this startup log on all my windows, macos and linux machines and it works everywhere smoothly and quickly.

At least it gives me some information, and this information is quite interesting:

Photoshop forces APP to start... it looks like. (I tried it four times, every time I open up photoshop cs2, APP opens up instant at the end loading sequence of CS2, and a micro second after APP CS2 is finaly there.)

That would indicate a more fundamental problem with our development platform and your systems somehow. This would probably mean that APP does start normally, but the command to actually launch the application windows/make them visible is not working well and it can be triggered to work by having another application to start. This has to do with the operating system window mechanics then.

It is interesting for me now to know a bit more about your computers. What motherboard (if you know) and cpu model is in the computer? And please check if your graphics driver is provided by the GPU manufacturer and that you are not using a windows graphical driver installed by windows at some point (they are buggy/incomplete to say the least).

In the mean while, i will make another testversion that should give us the information we need now. And I will add some code that will force the application windows to open more quickly hopefully.

Oh another thing which will be good to know, once the application window pops up, can you check the time stamps as shown in the general console and compare it to the actual time of your pc?

If APP takes several minutes to open like in your case, maybe this will show that the time stamps in the console are also several minutes old compared to your computer's time ?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@stastro)
Black Hole

@mabula-admin

Whilst I am not having the loading issue, it works perfectly on my system, except for the log window remains blank

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rouvinho209)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Many thanks for taking the time to solve this issue! I think this screenshot should contain all information you need. I checked also the GPU driver. It's an appropriate AMD

driver and no windows driver.

Screenshot APP

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@technohell)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin 

Sytem Data of my System:

Mainboard MSI Tomahawk z690 wifi DDR5 (Firmware-updated cause 13th Gen CPU)

CPU Intel i7 13700k 3.40 GHz (not boosted)

Graka MSI RTX 4060Ti  (Version 31.0.15.3699 released 04.08.2023 - always up-to-date)

RAM DDR5-6400 Corair Vengance black 2x32GB CL32 (dual channel)

Samsung SSD 990 Pro 1BT & 2TB (Samsung Magican for Controller) (1TB = System; 1TB only Astro Programms "APP" and active Data)

Western Digital blue 1TB & 4TB (Just Data storage)

Cherry MX RGB red full keyboard

Logitech G502 Hero mouse

ACO 27" & Benq 27"

Headset HyperX Alpha pro

LG USB portable DVD-RW

Sandberg USB portable Cardreader

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19044.1000.0

Aktiv "Background programms":

- MSI Center (APP is aktivated for high priority)

- Samsung Magican

- Cherry Utility

- Logitch G-Hub

- Nvidia system

- HyperX Ngenuity

If you need more, just tell me.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @stastro , @rouvinho209 & @technohell,

Thank you very much for the additional information.

I have adjusted the startup log, now when the application actually shows after startup the window with the startup log is showed like this:

StartUp log 2

So I have disabled that startup window now. In addition, i have adjusted some code that is responsible for showing the application windows, this might solve the issue perhaps on your systems as well.

So please try 2.0.0-beta24-test2 :

https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/2.0.0-beta24-test2/AstroPixelProcessor-2.0.0-beta24-test2-Windows-64-bit.zip

and let me know what that startup log shows once APP is shown and if the application startup time is changed now with the additional code for the windows. Thanks !

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@stastro)
Black Hole

@mabula-admin

The window displayed the information for me

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: