Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

getting rid of satellite trails

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tsnapp)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

What and when s the best way to get rid of satellite trails? I am sure I am getting occasional failure dialog boxes when I am stacking images because of these trails. I They usually appear as vertical lines sos maybe they are something else. In either case I want to know how best to eliminate them from the images.  At the present time I have set the setting for hot and cold columns in Cosmetic Correction at 6.0.

I am using a MAC desktop computer and am using the latest beta version of 1.083

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@tsnapp The best way is to shoot lots of frames. That way APP can detect the trail much more reliably and remove it from the integration.

However, you can play with the rejection parameters yourself. Given the huge amount of possibilities concerning cameras, telescopes and imaging conditions it is impossible to give a standard recipe. Just try to be as conservative as possible because with a high rejection of satellite trails you run a big risk of rejecting real and valuable signal from stars and nebulae as well. 

ReplyQuote
(@tsnapp)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I failed to say that that my images come from telescope live already calibrated since I am not shooting my own frames I must remove the parameters from the images they have shot.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@tsnapp Signa clipping, which is used to remove satellite trails, is performed during the last stage of the integration process and not during calibration of the frames so you should be good. 

ReplyQuote
Share: