Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Star Removal Tool

17 Posts
9 Users
13 Likes
(@jimmyd)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

It would be extreemly usefull to add a star removal tool to the toolbox. I would envisage sliders to set the threshold of what is classified as a star and also the ability to select the margin around the star. the removed star being filled with data from surrounding pixels. an output could also be a star map

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@carlesa25)
Red Giant

@jimmyd

Hi, I think it's a great idea, a tool like that would be very useful.

ReplyQuote
(@annehouw)
Neutron Star

@jimmyd

Could be nice to have it in APP, but there is a very promising tool outside of APP, using neural network techniques, and it is free.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/starnet/

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/651745-starnet-star-removing-software/

Having said that, there currently is no way to protect stars while stretching in APP, so having some sort of "star protection" would be great!

ReplyQuote
(@jimmyd)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

@annehouw

Thanks for the info on Starnet. Gave it a go and I must agree that its a very impressive tool. 

ReplyQuote
(@swissastro)
White Dwarf

Hello Moderators, 

is there a chance that Starnet will be integrated in the APP workflow just like in PI?

That would be really cool. Thanks, Achim

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not sure about if we would include starnet itself, as Mabula is already developing very good star detection algorithms, I think he would make it possible himself. Something like that for the comet integrations is being made. Who knows it can be applied in a broader sense, I don't know specifics about that.

Achim Freyer reacted
ReplyQuote
(@glundby)
White Dwarf

Testing starnet now. Very usefull when not using narrowband. When motif is nebula or galaxies, the stars are mostly noise in the end result. Starnet should be included in 9 tools.

M31 starless

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Gustav Lundby

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Excellent, keep an eye up for the next release of APP. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@euripides)
Main Sequence Star

Can we have a beta2 with this tool as a Christmas gift 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Wouldn't that be nice indeed. 🙂 It's still a week away so who knows!

ReplyQuote
(@peter-spatz)
Hydrogen Atom

Hurray, this would be so great for narrowband. 😀 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @jimmyd, @carlesa25, @annehouw, @swissastro, @vincent-mod, @glundby, @euripides, @peter-spatz, @wvreeven

I have been working on a Star Reducer/Removal tool for APP 1.083. The tool will be needed as well in the comet integration to get a sharp comet and sharp stars automatically.

To make this tool work very well, it is rather challenging, so it is taking some time in development.

I will not use Starnet in APP because it is really very !!! slow and it does not work great on all images I have seen with my test data to be honest.

This is a small teaser, soon I will show more:

IC1396a in SHO palette, data shot by myself with a Takahashi TSA102 @ f/5.6, asi1600mm-c, and 3nm astrodon filters.

Left is the original image with stretch, right is same stretch of star reduced linear data...

StarReduced IC1396a SHO

Hope you like it 🙂 ?

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@glundby)
White Dwarf

@mabula-admin Excellent! It even looks like the biggest star is resolved to a double star!? Looking forward to try this.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@annehouw)
Neutron Star

@mabula-admin

Great to hear from you again on a concrete roadmap item. To be honest, the next-release blog was a bit desolate for a long time. 

From my experience: Starnet++ can be quite fast when using even a modest GPU. Having said that, as a user of a fast reflector (with diffraction spikes and a bit of a halo around stars), Starnet++ does leave a bit of a mess which takes time to clean. I am very looking forward to APP's implementation of Star removal/reduction.

Now that I might have your attention: Many thanks for expanding the moderator/support team. There is great energy in supporting the userbase thanks to the combined effort of @Vincent-Moderator and @Wouter-Moderator. Greatly appreciated!

This post was modified 3 years ago by Annehouw

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks @annehouw that's really appreciated! The updates on the latest release have indeed taken more time then usual, this is because the features are way more complex. As APP is growing, the team is as well, slowly but surely so hopefully that will result in faster updates down the road.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@carlesa25)
Red Giant

Hello: A great result, I like it more than the total and brutal removal of the background stars, the result is too artificial.
Its reduction (APP) leaves a subtle trail of stars that seems to me a better solution and gives a more natural look to the final image.

ReplyQuote
(@swissastro)
White Dwarf

@mabula-admin this is indeed very very beautiful. Full star removal is rarely pretty, your examples look very good to me and also show the love and dedication that you are bringing into your solution. Looking forward to put my hands on the next version.

ReplyQuote
Share: