'Pause' Integration...

Share:

We have updated the forum software 🙂 ! We are now working on upgrading the whole site and the Forum to a dark theme...  so please refresh your internet browser twice to properly update the forum appearance AND functionality... Check your internet browser for the refresh function, on windows, this usually is the F5 button, but it depends on your internet browser.

'Pause' Integration button  

RSS

(@cheetah)
White Dwarf Customer
August 9, 2018 20:35  

I'd love to be able to Pause the processing.  I'm 11 hours into an integration and I need my laptop to run my scope this evening.  It may work better by reducing the number of threads APP is using, but it's less than ideal.  Cancelling is an option, but I'd prefer to 'PAUSE'.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
August 19, 2018 22:57  

Hi @cheetah,

I will put this on my list.

May I ask what you are doing that takes so long? are you integrating several 100s of frames ? Or a mosaic perhaps?

Mabula

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
(@cheetah)
White Dwarf Customer
August 20, 2018 06:29  

Thanks!

The biggest limiting factor is probably that I don't have hard drive space on my laptop.  The working directory and storage for the images is on a remote drive connected via wifi.  The 

The last job I did was 60 or 70 images @ 16mp each.  With 1st level LNC and 5% MBB, it took over 12 hours.  The (LNC in particular seems to take forever...)

My machine is a 2015 Macbook Pro, with a 2.7Ghz Intel i5 & 8gb ram.

ReplyQuote
(@adamj)
Molecular Cloud Customer
August 22, 2018 18:33  
Posted by: Mabula Haverkamp - Admin

Hi @cheetah,

I will put this on my list.

May I ask what you are doing that takes so long? are you integrating several 100s of frames ? Or a mosaic perhaps?

Mabula

I have done a 700 image run with 30 second subs on my ASI1600mm pro and it took maybe 8 hours. So I would be also be very happy with pause button. 

Incidentally how much would going from 8gb ram to 16gb ram help me in this sort of situation?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
September 25, 2018 20:35  

@cheetah and @adamj, Hard drive IO speed or the IO speed to the hardrive with the work directory, is the main limiting factor here.

Cheetah, you are severly limited by the WIFI connection if you use a work directory on the external drive through WIFI.

LNC is a technology that will alter the layers (images) in your stack, before integration. So if the integration consists of 20GB of data, then APP will need to alter 20GB per LNC iteration of data. If you perfrom that over a Wifi connection, the speed of the Wifi connection will most likely be the main bottle neck and thus determine how long it will take.

When you start to use a SSD drive for your work directory, then you will see very fast integrations and very fast LNC iterations, in that situation, more processors and more memory will start to prove it's worth as well. I know on my machine, with a M2 SSD, integrating with 16Gbs of Ram is about 15-20% faster than with only 4GBs of ram.

And processor threads scale nicely. 2x more processor threads make a lot of calculations in APP twice as fast.

Mabula

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
Share: