Add ability to read...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Add ability to read .xisf files

7 Posts
5 Users
4 Likes
(@jehoener)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I find it sometimes beneficial to move project files back and forth between APP and PixInsight. In order to do this I must save files to .tiff or .fits.  It would be helpful if APP could read and write PixInsight's .xisf files.

dswtan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes that may be handy, but our fits format is more standard in general and compatible with more programs. It's not that xifs stores more data for instance.

ReplyQuote
(@readyjetty)
Neutron Star

@vincent-mod One potential advantage of .XISF for me is NINA now can write compressed .XISF saving about 1/2 the space.  I take short exposures so that is nice.  Alternatively, I wish .FITS had a fast basic lossless compression option.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Steven Miller

ReplyQuote
(@juergenn)
Red Giant

even in Kstars/Indi it is now possible to save in XISF. Perhaps it would be usefull for the guys with full frame cameras to use the XISF due to less file size...

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

The file compression is a good argument, only thing I can say for now is that support may be added but it's not a priority for us at the moment.

JuergenN reacted
ReplyQuote
(@juergenn)
Red Giant

I want to revive this thread, because I just have read, that Siril will have the ability to read (not write) XISF-Files in the near future. Since this file format seems to be supported by even more AP programms it would still be very nice, if APP can read this format too. For me it would be sufficiant to read this format, since Kstars can save and read  this format. And the reduction of file size is significantly in Kstars (its about 1:3). I also use PI for using BXT and NXT, but APP is still my favourite AP programm for stacking (for me its is far beyond PI in case of stacking) and final procedures, so from my side it would be very nice if APP support XISF too!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

hi @juergenn,

This is on our todo list for sure, we need to finish work on other priorities first 😉

APP uses FITS and can also read compressed fits, we will soon offer saving of compressed fits as well in addition. Lossless fits compression has been around for a long time. It is more a problem that capture software does not produce it for an unknown reason. Images Plus used to capture in lossless compressed fits and APP can read and process data like that.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: