Speed of Processing...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Speed of Processing - or the lack thereof

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@andynowlen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

As shown in this screenshot APP is using 1% of resources for the last 2 hours.  There are massive amounts of my 40g of ram and hard drive space available.  I anticipate stacking these 83 of 113 sub frames is going to take 12 - 14 hours.  This is almost as slow as PI. :>(

Is there anything that can be done?  

Thanks,

Andy

Screenshot 2023 03 25 at 5.38.03 PM
This topic was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Andy Nowlen

ReplyQuote
(@juergenn)
Red Giant

I'm working on Linux, AMD 3700X, 64GB RAM, QHY268C with 50MB/picture. When I started with APP, I think 1.082, then it took really long. But after the improvements it isnt even worse to get a cup of coffee since the progress really is fast. Last I stacked 100 Pictures, it took roughly 1.5 hours (with LNC 2nd degree, 3 iterations)...

Do you processed a mosaic or something special?

ReplyQuote
(@andynowlen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I just checked the log for this project.  Here are the details.  Good thing I was able to go to bed!

23:32 start stacking
07:01 finish
Integrating 80 of 133
80 from one scope
53 from second scope
no drizzle
Imac 27inch computer 40 gigs of ram 500 gigs of free hard drive space

ReplyQuote
(@maxthebuilder)
Red Giant

I just stacked 270 lights from ASI2600MC. APP 2.0.0 beta13. Windows 10.

It took 35 min or so. AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with 32Gb RAM.

My older PC (i7-3770) with older APP was 3 times slower.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by maxthebuilder

ReplyQuote
(@andynowlen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I'm back. Is there any guidance from the developers? APP is only using 1% of resources.  Is this what I should expect or is there anything that can be done to improve the processing speed?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2023 03 28 at 2.35.47 PM

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Some of the processes are not multi threaded yet, but a lot of improvements in speed have been made as you can see from the other users here. Are you using any setting in APP that may cause this, or better, do you use the standard settings or not?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @andynowlen,

Most processes are multi-threaded in APP, but not all. The Local Normalization Correction is single-threaded and will take a lot of time when using many subs. I suspect LNC is enabled and is taking so long?

Which version are you using? Please use our latest 2.0.0 beta which is much faster than the older 1.083 version.

Regarding the LNC process, we have already started work to make it multi-threaded so in due time, it will become much faster for sure.

What does the console window show when the cpu is only utilised for 1%? Maybe you can create a screenshot, so I can now what APP actually is doing or trying to do at that stage. With 6 CPU threads, it should still show about 16% when LNC is running, not 1%, so maybe there is another problem as well on your system. Where is your working directory? On what kind of disk?

Mabula

This post was modified 1 year ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@andynowlen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Thank you for your reply. On this project I did expect it to take longer.  I am using your Drizzle at .5 droplet and scale 2. Also, I am integrating Per Session & all for 110 of 132 lights, 83%.

My question revolves around why APP doesn't use more of the available resources.  IF I read the console log correctly Normalize finished at 17:43:36 March 28 2023.  As of March 29 10:45:34 the integration shows 76% complete. Something like 18 hours now.  

I did not add LNC manually as can be seen in the screenshot. I saved the console output if any info there might be helpful for me to better understand.  I have made my machine not Sleep, no screensaver, and not to put the hard drives to sleep and no other programs are running (beyond system background activity.)  

In the Log I notice there are 2 large time gaps with no activity recorded, or maybe the existing process is a very a long one.  For instance at 7:40am the log shows "07:40:13 - 6) INTEGRATE: integrate light frames: LNC: turning off LNC, can't get sample size"  the next entry is at 10:53 "10:53:25 - 6) INTEGRATE: integrate light frames: integrating pixels 24371201 to 24391681 of 96896236".  

I am just trying to understand if I can do anything to improve my processing speed.  

Thanks for your help. 

Andy

Screenshot 2023 03 29 at 10.38.13 AM

ReplyQuote
Share: