Registration failed...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Registration failed on some of the frames

(@robaro)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Hi all, my first post here and I am quite new to APP. I hope you can help!?

I have acquired several hours of narrowband subs with the same equipment in a single session/same night. I can register all the Ha and OIII but when I try and include the SII the registration fails.

So far I have tried;

1. Increasing the stars target to 3200
  2. Disabling same camera and optics
  3. Increasing the scale stop to 15
  4. Tried Triangles and Quadrilaterals for pattern recognition
  5. Selected flip descriptors

After many hours of trying various combination I still end up with the following error. If I don't register my SII subs the rest (Ha and OIII) seem to work.

Registration failed on some of the frames !

Possible solutions for a successfull registration are:

- increase the automatic #stars target in 3) ANALYSE STARS
- disable same camera and optics (if enabled)
- try different pattern recognition descriptors
- increase the scale stop level
especially if you have data of different image scales or
with little overlap between the frames
- enable flip descriptors in X/Y
if you need to register data from different telescopes

Thanks in advance for your support!

Rob.

This topic was modified 6 months ago by RobAro

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@robaro Hi Rob. What version of APP are you using?

ReplyQuote
(@ccd2048)
White Dwarf Customer

Hi

I also have many registration errors in multi-filter (or single filter but multi exposure) mode with 1.083 beta2

Last week, on color camera, impossible to register 150s exposure and 5s exposure together (even changing all parameters). Also impossible to register together 150s Luminance filter and 300s dualband filter ! This was working fine in 1.082

I needed to separate registration stacks.

I will try on SHO image soon with another camera setup. It was working fine under 1.082 and maybe 1.083 beta1.

Beta2 is a regression. I am a little disappointed. Hope 1.083 final version will solve all issues.

I think I will be back to 1.082.

Philippe

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@ccd2048 Hi Philippe. There indeed is a known  issue with registration of certain files in 1.083-beta2 which has been fixed by Mabula and this will be part of 1.083. Sorry for the trouble but please keep in mind that this is a beta version and not an official release. 

ReplyQuote
(@robaro)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I am using version 1.082.

ReplyQuote
(@robaro)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

@ccd2048 I have not tried the beta yet, this is an issue for me with version 1.082.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@robaro One popssibility could be that the SII frames do not contain enough stars for APP to be able to match them with the Ha and/or OIII frames. Do you get this error as well if you only process the SII data?

ReplyQuote
(@robaro)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

@wvreeven The SII seems to pass star analysis but fails registration when processed with Ha and OIII data. If I register just the SII it works. I did notice the dimensions of the final stacked SII image is different to the original and other stacked images. Please see images attached which I hope you can see?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@robaro Yes, the different sizes are to be expected. What you can do now is to load the Ha, OIII and SII integration results as Lights in tab 1 (no need to load calibration data) and then go to tab 4 and register the images. Once done you can save the registered images and then load those in Combine RGB in the tools tab.

ReplyQuote
(@robaro)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I tried to register the Ha, OIII and SII and it seems to error. I can register the Ha and OIII, but not the SII again. 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@robaro Can you please upload the Ha, OII and SII integration results to

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

using upload for both username and password? Please create a directory called robaro_registration_error and put the files in there. Let me know here as soon as the upload is done so I can have a look. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@robaro)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

@wvreeven all uploaded, thanks so much for your support!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@robaro I stretched the Ha and SII images and created screenshots. Then I uploaded the screenshots to astrometry.net and solved them. That shows that the SII center of field is several degrees from the Ha center of field. With a field of view on less than 1.5 degrees, that explains why the SII data cannot be solved against the Ha data. See

SII solved image: https://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/5376213
Ha solved image: https://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/5376216

ReplyQuote
(@robaro)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

@wvreeven DOH, I didn't think to do this myself! Well thanks for your help with this! I will acquire more data and try again.

ReplyQuote
Share: