Normalizing non-lin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Normalizing non-linear files

7 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
(@scott_rosen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I'm trying to normalize a processed (non-linear) Oiii image to my processed Ha file.  I've loaded both files into APP, analyzed stars, and then selected the Ha file as the reference image.  I then registered the two images, then normalized them.  I then clicked on Save on the Normalize screen, expecting to save at least the normalized Oiii file (and possibly the Ha reference file, although I would have expected it to be unchanged).  However, APP ends up ONLY saving the Ha file with a -norm appended to the file name.  No matter what I do, I can't find a way to save the normalized Oiii file.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@scott_rosen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Never mind - the problem was that APP wasn't able to register the Oiii to the Ha (even though it marked the file as registered).  I had removed most of the stars from the Oiii file, so it does make sense that it couldn't register it (I had thought there was enough remnants left to allow it to register).  The console window came in quite handy, as I was able to track through the process to see where the problem was originating.

I ended up using the registration mode of "no registration" and then normalized the Oiii to the reference Ha.  That seemed to have worked.

One related suggestion - if a frame isn't able to register, it seems that it shouldn't have the "reg" label after it in the file list.  I think what the file list is currently showing is that it has been processed through the registration phase - not that it was actually registered.  If the file didn't have the "reg" label when registration failed, it would be clearer (or more obvious) that there was a problem with that particular file.

Scott   -  http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
 Tim
(@tim)
Red Giant

This probably explains a question I asked a few days ago. Why weren't all my registered  files downloaded when I tried to download them. If many of them weren't actually registered that would explain this particular issue.

I support Scott's suggestion. The current method can be misleading.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Scott and Tim,

Yes, if a frame is not saved, it means APP wasn't able to create registration parameters using the settings in 3) & 4).

Indeed, your guess is correct, the "reg" label/mark in the frame column of the bottom frame list panel means that the frame has been processed by the registration engine. This label is used internally by APP to keep track of things, so I can't remove it if registration fails for that frame.

Probably the best way to solve this, is to add a new label/mark indicating that a frame wasn't registered correctly (not possible or a registration RMS higher than 1 pixel), or if normalization failed. By adding a "problem" mark in the same column as the reg mark, it becomes quickly clear to the user that a frame has a problem.

Would you both agree to this solution?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@scott_rosen)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula - Yes, I think a problem indicator would be very helpful.  What if you used an exclamation point (preferably a red one) before the word REG or NORM indicating that it was NOT registered or normalized?

Scott -  http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
 Tim
(@tim)
Red Giant

I agree Mabula, a problem mark - something like Scott's suggestion - would work.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Excellent suggestion Scott, and thank you Tim, I have added it to my ToDo list 😉

ReplyQuote
Share: