Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

No free lunch?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@oopfan)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Having just broken the sound barrier with 8-minute exposures, unguided, following software changes to my Raspberry Pi's periodic error correction, I wanted to ask the question:

Are the following equivalent?
1. Seven 8-minute frames using bin2 with 2x drizzle.
2. Seven 32-minute frames using bin1 with no drizzle.

In terms of signal-to-noise are they equivalent?
Clearly #2 will have better resolution but should #1 come close?

Two nights ago I captured seven 8-minute frames of PacMan in Ha (see attachment "PacMan_Ha_7x8m_bin2_no-drizzle".) Compare that to "PacMan_Ha_7x8m_bin2_drizzle-2x".

Is the drizzled image close to what I could expect by capturing seven 32-minutes frames using bin1?

I am wondering if bin2 imaging is a better option for me considering that I have a relatively slow f/5.9 refractor and a camera that is least sensitive to red.

Thank you.

PacMan Ha 7x8m bin2 no drizzle
PacMan Ha 7x8m bin2 drizzle 2x

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Those are very good questions to which I have no certain answer. I would think using bin 1 will always give you better details as it's the best and most direct way to gather real data, whereas bin 2 is not necessarily solved by drizzling as far as I understand it. I could be wrong though, but I thought there's a difference between upsampling and dithering in this case. Bin2 is usually used to gather color data with more sensitivity and faster and then combining that with bin1 data which has the detail. Maybe @mabula-admin has more to say about it.

ReplyQuote
Share: