Neutralize backgrou...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Neutralize background box unchecks itself

11 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@safinsd)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I'm processing a new batch of images today and noticed that the neutralize background box is unchecking itself after I begin normalization. I haven't noticed this before. What causes this?

ReplyQuote
(@safinsd)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Then I get the "critical warning: background neutralization turned off" window at the end of the normalization process. But I checked the box before I started normalization.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@safinsd Hi Susan, what version of APP are you using? And can you tell us something about the data you're processing?

Thanks, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@safinsd)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@wvreeven Hi there. It's version 1.083.4. I'm stacking FITS lights and darks. This didn't happen on my previous stack using lights and darks from the same telescope.

ReplyQuote
(@safinsd)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

@wvreeven I'm doing another stack now with different but similar data from the same telescope and the neutralize background box didn't uncheck itself. Using same APP settings.

ReplyQuote
(@safinsd)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Only appreciable difference with this stack is a lot less subs.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@safinsd Intriguing. Are all the lights from the same imaging session or are multiple sessions involved? If the latter, does the button stay enabled when using lights from a single imaging session or also when mixing lights from multiple imaging sessions?

Did you select the smaller sample randomly or is there a certain coherence between the lights?

EDIT: do you only use mono lights or OSC light or do you mix those? If the latter, does the smaller set have mixed lights as well?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @safinsd

I'm processing a new batch of images today and noticed that the neutralize background box is unchecking itself after I begin normalization. I haven't noticed this before. What causes this?

Hi Susan @safinsd & @wvreeven,

Background Neutralization can be turned by APP of if any of the frames are under-exposed after data calibration. So it happens because 1 or more of the frames that you loaded clip to much to the black point / zero value after data calibration (or no calibration if no calibration data was loaded.) The general console does warn you about this when it happens.

Background neutralization can only work well if the RGB values of the background sky as found by APP are positive. In your case, some frames have real negative sky background values and thus Background Neutralization is turned off as a precautionary measure.

This is no problem and actually very important. You can still get a good sky background if you run the Calibrate Background tool on your integration (or the Remove Light Pollution Tool which will do Background Calibration automatically).

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @safinsd

Then I get the "critical warning: background neutralization turned off" window at the end of the normalization process. But I checked the box before I started normalization.

Yes, so APP warns you that it is turned by APP because your data does not allow background neutralization to work properly 😉

ReplyQuote
(@safinsd)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I do get light leak warnings sometimes when the background of some frames is significantly lighter than the rest.

ReplyQuote
(@safinsd)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  
Posted by: @wvreeven

@safinsd Intriguing. Are all the lights from the same imaging session or are multiple sessions involved? If the latter, does the button stay enabled when using lights from a single imaging session or also when mixing lights from multiple imaging sessions?

Did you select the smaller sample randomly or is there a certain coherence between the lights?

EDIT: do you only use mono lights or OSC light or do you mix those? If the latter, does the smaller set have mixed lights as well?

They were from the same session. The smaller session was from another night, so the only correlation is using the same telescope. These are all OSC. The button hasn't unchecked itself in any subsequent stack of other observations. Assuming it was a data issue.

ReplyQuote
Share: