Mosaic normalizatio...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Mosaic normalization issue

5 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
(@rkmvca)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Hello,

I am having trouble with a OSC 3-panel integration of the Heart nebula. Process flow to date:

- Integrated each panel separately ... they look good
- Loaded the 3 panels as lights
- Performed Mosaic registration
- Performed Normalization
- Integrated the 3 panels

The result is as shown: a very noticeable difference in backgrounds between the 3 panels (shot across 2 nights).

Is there a way to fix this? Should I try to register, normalize and integrate all of the lights together?

Thanks!

- Rich

Screenshot 2023 10 22 094414

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rkmvca)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

OK, I may have fixed it.  I did the above process again, but with the following changes:

- on Integration, changed Multi band blending to 15%, and set LNC from OFF to 6th degree, 3 iterations  (I had LNC off before because I thought the scale of LNC was much smaller than panel size)

Which of these was the magic bullet, or both ?  I think it is vastly improved but not quite perfect, are there other settings which could improve it?  

Thanks,

- Rich

heart m 2

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@artaios)
White Dwarf

@rkmvca It was all of them. There are some good how-to`s in this Forum in regards to Mosaic. In general the following is recommended:

3: Analyse Stars = 3000 or more

4: scale start/stop = 1/15

5: normalization mode = advanced

6: LNC 4th degree and 3 iterations - increase slowly as needed

6: enable MBB - set it to the percentage of your panel overlap, usually 15-20% works fine

As you figured out, both LNC and MBB have been important for your goal. I would say it is the mix 😉

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rkmvca)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

Thanks, much appreciated!  If interested, here is what I ended up with after a sort of HOO processing:  (abut 72 minutes of light per panel, 130mm refractor)

heartm 1 GIMP DeNoiseAI severe noise
This post was modified 6 months ago by Rich Klein

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @rkmvca

Thanks, much appreciated!  If interested, here is what I ended up with after a sort of HOO processing:  (abut 72 minutes of light per panel, 130mm refractor)

heartm 1 GIMP DeNoiseAI severe noise

Hi Rich @rkmvca,

Great result !

Indeed, like Patrick @artaios indicates there are 3 settings that control how well the images blend.

1) normalize, advanced mode will work better then regular mode in this case for sure !

2) Multi-Band Blending is the main blend technique, so very critical to smooth difference in illumination between the panels. Setting MBB even to a higher % can result in more improvements in some cases.

3) Local Normalization Correction, is responsible to try to remove different gradients between the mosaic panels, so also adds to the mix to improve things.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: