Minimising aircraft...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Minimising aircraft trails.

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@anniemorello)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

New to APP but after watching Sara Wager's video tutorials and some help from an earlier post have managed to create master flats and bias frames and a BPM.  Have also managed to create a fully integrated stack of LRGB data. The data I've used comprises of only 6-8 x 300sec exps for each filter with a number of aircraft trails on most of the filters.  Is it unrealistic to expect to minimise the trails with so few subs or are there specific settings I can look at?  So far I've really just been following Sara's tutorials as I don't have much understanding at this stage of many of the parameters!

My set up is :  Takahashi 106ed, mono Atik 460ex on NEQ6.  Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.  Artemis capture software and synscan control of mount.

ReplyQuote
(@anniemorello)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I think I've been able to resolve this myself by reading other posts.  In integration have changed my outlier rejection to LN Mad sigma clip (maybe I'll try Winsor next time?) with Kappa 2.5 and 2 iterations.  Whilst the trails haven't disappeared they have been significantly minimised.

Pam

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

You could also take out the frames that have the trails, but otherwise you likely need more aggressive clipping indeed. Probably not the best overall though, removing the aircraft trails first is probably better so you can go easier on the clipping. However, in this case you seem to have them in too many frames, that's a tough spot for taking photo's. 🙁

ReplyQuote
(@anniemorello)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Yes it's unusual to have so many aircraft trails especially on 300 sec subs and on this occasion unfortunately only had a low number of them .  Anyway it's provided a reason to experiment a bit!  Initially I used sigma clip with kappa 3 and iteration 1 - would that be appropriate with a small number of lights without aircraft trails?  Still trying to understand the various options there are in integration!

Thanks for the reply.

Pam

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, that should be enough for lights without trails. Or, when you have a good BPM and other calibration frames, you might even go without rejection to see if that's nicer.

No problem. 🙂 Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@anniemorello)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Thanks Vincent.  Much appreciated.

Pam

ReplyQuote
Share: