First run of Versio...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

First run of Version2Beta1

39 Posts
11 Users
11 Likes
(@zurgany)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hello,

I have just downloaded and tested the new release, V2Beta1 and would like to share my thoughts!

* I was hoping that the prompts that we have to answer yes to were gone in this release, they are still there!

* The split viewer does not work properly; it displays the image on part of it only and when you click, to, for example select or crop, it does not select where the mouse is, it is offset and you cannot really crop the image.

* Since the image viewer is separate now, every time you want to pick a file, the main window covers the image and that does not look practical as now you probably need 2 screens to run this program.

My main issue which prevented me from using the software was the image not being displayed correctly in the image viewer and the mouse is offset, when you click and drag to select a part of the image, the square appears way far from the mouse location.

Thank you,

Jay 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @zurgany

Hello,

I have just downloaded and tested the new release, V2Beta1 and would like to share my thoughts!

* I was hoping that the prompts that we have to answer yes to were gone in this release, they are still there!

* The split viewer does not work properly; it displays the image on part of it only and when you click, to, for example select or crop, it does not select where the mouse is, it is offset and you cannot really crop the image.

* Since the image viewer is separate now, every time you want to pick a file, the main window covers the image and that does not look practical as now you probably need 2 screens to run this program.

My main issue which prevented me from using the software was the image not being displayed correctly in the image viewer and the mouse is offset, when you click and drag to select a part of the image, the square appears way far from the mouse location.

Thank you,

Jay 

Dear Jay,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The image viewer problems that you experience were there before this version if I understand correctly? Then it indicates that you are not using correct graphical drivers to use OpenGL. If you would disable OpenGL with the top left OpenGL button does it work correctly then? Very likely it will.

Which prompts are you referring to? APP will ask questions to help you if it is needed.

Also note that this is a first beta of the version that will have full support for save/load of settings and projects. So the stable version will have much more in this context as we promised earlier.

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@minusman)
Black Hole

Hello Mabula, congratulations on the new version.
Would it be possible to introduce a key combination that groups all three windows docked together on the screen. So for example the bedinelemente with console on the left side, image viewer right side and file lists bottom side. And with the F-key the image viewer changes to full screen.
At the moment you always have to move the windows in and out, which is not so optimal. There I found the 1 window mode earlier clearer.

With best regards

Gideon Golan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Minusman,

Thank you very much. Yes, I understand your proposal. We should be able to improve that experience. Please note that the image viewer is performing quite a bit better as it is now when compared to having it insided the main window. Especially on the other operating systems Linux and macOS this makes a world of difference.

Mabula

This post was modified 2 years ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@minusman)
Black Hole

Thank you for the answer. The image viewer is really fast, so my suggestion is to improve the user experience.

With best regards

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @minusman

Thank you for the answer. The image viewer is really fast, so my suggestion is to improve the user experience.

With best regards

Great thank you @minusman, we will work on that for the next release 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jeffmorgan)
Red Giant

Posted by: @mabula-admin

Hi Minusman,

Thank you very much. Yes, I understand your proposal. We should be able to improve that experience. Please note that the image viewer is performing quite a bit better as it is now when compared to having it insided the main window. Especially on the other operating systems Linux and macOS this makes a world of difference.

Mabula

A world of difference? Something of an understatement!

I have a 10797 x 10820 pixel 32 bit depth - 1.4 gigabyte (yes gigabyte) image. I can zoom out so that the size of the image in window is the size of a small coin, and then zoom in so that each pixel is that size almost instantaneously - as fast as I can move my finger over the magic mouse! Amazing!

And for recalculation, I changed the color model from LHaRGB2 to LHaRGB1 and that 1.4 gb image processed in 18.9 seconds on my stopwatch. Given my reaction time to start and stop the timer, it is probably a half second faster than that. For 1.8.3, that time runs 46.6 seconds. Amazing!

I am still diving in to see all of the new features, but it is clear Mabula that you and your team have hit a home run with 2.0 Beta. Congratulations!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Awesome, thanks for the kind words Jeff!

ReplyQuote
(@zurgany)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Thank you very much for the prompt response!

Disabling OpenGL solved the mouse offset!

I still prefer old image viewer as I don't need to switch between windows! I don't know if there is a way to dock these windows together!

About the prompts, if, for example, I wanted to use remove light pollution, I will be prompted with a window that asks me if I want to continue, and there is no way to say, don't show again, same prompt for each and every process you want to do.

Again, thank you for your reply and congratulations on the new release, I will keep trying and asking!!

Jay

ReplyQuote
(@ccdmike)
Main Sequence Star

I am a little disappointed I must say. The announcement talked about "settings like Working Directory are now remembered between restarts of APP", but all that is saved are the window positions and the working directory. Really? What about the settings under 0) RAW/FITS or the image settings stretching, saturation etc? I would have liked to see that.

Why the program is now opened in three windows is also not clear to me. I have no benefit from it, but it is rather a hindrance.
I'm sorry folks, but this looks like a step backwards in usability to me.

Best

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

This beta is just the beginning of the saving of settings, Mabula is expanding that by a lot for the stable release.

I also get that multiple windows is not everyone's cup of tea, so Mabula is going to make it possible to attach the framelist to the main window. The imageviewer will remain detached as it enables us to use a different technology which makes it really fast, as you can read above.

ReplyQuote
(@wornish)
White Dwarf

Downloaded the Version2 Beta1 for my M1 MacStudio and gave it a try on some Bodes data.

What an improvement it is noticeably quicker.

I like the new layout with the separate viewer window.

Thanks for all the hard work that's gone into this release.

ReplyQuote
(@scott44)
Main Sequence Star

Downloaded for my Windows 11 machine (recent core i7/32GB RAM).  Unfortunately it just freezes when trying to browse for Light frames.  Becomes totally unresponsive and I have to kill it in Task Manager.  Will wait for something more stable

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

@scott44 Hi Callum,

That is very weird to say the least... could security software on your computer be responsible? Do you have a certain security package installed?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@scott44)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin hi - no - just Windows Defender.  The current production version has no issues and I don't see other apps freezing when opening a dialogue relating to opening/browsing file locations.  Have tried numerous times and same behaviour every time.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Thanks @scott44,

Can you share the exact windows 11 version that you are using? I will try to update to that version to see if I can duplicate the problem then 😉 It does sound like a security issue though. Is your computer supplied by your employer possibly?

This new beta runs on another platform, so the issue could be related to that as well of course.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@scott44)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin Hi - it's a home machine with no special security software;

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎04/‎11/‎2021
OS build 22000.675
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.675.0

ReplyQuote
(@assafh)
Molecular Cloud

@vincent-mod 
So if the image viewer is not dockable anymore - how can I at least put it in the middle? Currently I have the header metadata and console tabs filling all the middle of the screen.

ReplyQuote
(@zurgany)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Hy Mabula,

Is there any way to either dock the image viewer or at least keep it on top? For example, if you were cropping an image, you will need to see more than one window at same time, trying to modify the crop size, means the image will be covered by the main window, which will not allow you to see the image. 

Also, forgot to mention that the offset mouse location problem happens only on the 4K monitor.

Thank you

Jay

ReplyQuote
(@scott44)
Main Sequence Star

@mabula-admin Hi Mabula - after doing some digging I found a work around that seems to have allowed progress.  If I run the beta as Administrator then I am able to perform file operations no problem (I had to update my policy to allow access to my network drives where I store my data after doing this).  I've been able to test a couple of datasets and things seem to be working as expected and great to be able to work on RGB and mono data in one integration at last.  I guess its a permissioning issue.  Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@prbrandy)
Brown Dwarf

Mabula -congratulations on the new release. I have noted only one issue regarding the image viewer on Windows 11. If I have OpenGL4 (It shows Green in APP), the maximum size that can be displayed in the image viewer appears to be 1/4 of the image viewer screen - displayed on the lower left. (image attached) If I try to expand beyond this size, sliders are enabled on the right and bottom to move through the imaged like it was filling the entire image viewer area. I noticed that if I turn off OpenGL4 the image will correctly fill the entire image screen. Please note that I did not have this issue with using OpenGL4 on any previse version of APP.

Again, my thanks for an excellent software product. And my hope is that a correction can be found to continue to use OpenGL4.

Paul

Maximun Size with OpenGL4 enabled

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

ReplyQuote
(@prbrandy)
Brown Dwarf

@wvreeven Thanks for the quick response and I will be watching for the next release 

ReplyQuote
(@prbrandy)
Brown Dwarf

@wvreeven Thanks for the quick response and I will be watching for the next release 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

@assafh That's not possible as those are not movable. We are of course taking suggestions with a beta, the moving of those parts of the window is a bit more complicated though with the current UI system.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Interesting! What location did you install APP? Maybe it needs admin rights there?

ReplyQuote
(@scott44)
Main Sequence Star

@vincent-mod Hi Vincent - it installed in what I think is the default path:

C:\Users\cswin\AppData\Local\AstroPixelProcessor

I have other installs in a separate folder in same location ie AstroPixelProcessor2 - no issues with those.

Have checked the Security settings and they all look the same.  I'll uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes the problem.  Aside from this am enjoying the new version!  Thanks for all the hard work.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Very odd then, yes if you can completely uninstall it and try again, that would be helpful. Any virus scanners you're running that may cause issues?

ReplyQuote
(@scott44)
Main Sequence Star

@vincent-mod hi - sadly performing an uninstall and reinstall has broken it.  I can't get it to stably open the file dialogue, even as administrator anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That is very strange, never heard that before. Is there any chance there is something going on with your system, disk wise perhaps?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: