Do Calibrated Frame...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Do Calibrated Frames Stand Alone?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rowland-f-archer-jr)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I noticed that when I create and save Calibrated frames in one session, and then later load those Calibrated frames and run Star Analysis, APP references the Dark frames from the earlier run.  It seems to me that once I had saved calibrated frames, the darks would no longer be required?

Are saved calibrated frames ready for use in any processing program that accepts the format, or are the dark frames really still needed to do further processing?  For example, if I loaded the calibrated frames in another program and did star registration and integration there, should this work OK?

One reason for asking is that large multi-channel projects in APP sometimes fail (hang) past the calibration stage.  I'd like to take those calibrated frames and continue processing in another program that is working OK, until APP's issue is fixed, without having to recalibrate.

Thanks!

Rowland

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Rowland @rowland-f-archer-jr ,

If you save calibrated frames all masters are applied to the data  and they are completely calibrated and to be used anywhere else. SO

For example, if I loaded the calibrated frames in another program and did star registration and integration there, should this work OK?

Yes 😉

Saved calibrated frames are not shown as new lights but as "processed" with the -cal extension right?

If you then load these calibrated frames as lights and you still have a masterdark loaded, you will need to deselect/remove the masterdark, otherwise APP thinks the masterdark needs to be applied to those new lights. APP automatically is checking for suitable calibration frames, if the frames are allready calibrated, then you will need to remove/deselect the masters from the frame list panel.

One reason for asking is that large multi-channel projects in APP sometimes fail (hang) past the calibration stage.

This should be fixed in APP 1.064. (I just checked the release notes, but I might have skiped that change I think).  There was a problem with hanging at the moment of final BPM creation. This should no longer happen. If it still does, I really need to know and I need to see the console output when it happens. I have tested this and it never hangs here. It might have to do with a particular loading of frames and if that's the case, please let me know 😉

So, I think the issue that you describe is solved and it's working OK 😉 If not, please let me know all details about what you are trying to do.

Kind regards,

Mabula

This post was modified 6 years ago by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@rowland-f-archer-jr)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I might have still had MasterDarks loaded when I tried to register already saved, calibrated frames, so good point for me to check.  

Regarding the hang, I'll be on the lookout and post the info if it happens again.  My recollection is that it happened when doing a fairly large project all at once - meaning multi-channel, multi-session, over 1000 frames.  I have 32GB on the PC and 24GB allocated to APP, but memory usage seemed pretty high (memory bars in APP turning red).   Maybe the newer memory algorithm will help.

Thanks,

Rowland

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Rowland @rowland-f-archer-jr,

Just to follow-up,

Did you experience these hangs with the latest APP versions? I did change some code in the calibration module to prevent this. I have never experiences it myself again, but I need to know if you or anyone still "suffers" from this off course.

And do let me know about the memory performance 😉 We might be able to do some better testing by providing you with a test version with other internal memory settings specifically for large datasets (> 1000 frames)

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: