Combining Ha and OI...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Combining Ha and OIII

27 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Wanted to try my hand at combining images. I used an Optolong L-eXtreme last night on IC405 and took 60X240 second subs...My camera is an ASI294MC Pro cooled OSC

I set up tab (0) as follows:

Pattern: RGGB

Algorithm: Ha-OIII Extract Ha & Ha-OIII Extract OIII Two separate channel selections.

Check Mark in: Force Bayer/X Trans CFA

RH Side Checked: Neutralize BG & Satuation

When I went thru all the steps the image came out MONO...? This happened on the Ha and the OIII...Tried this several times using different algorithms...Only one I get color is on the Ha-OIII Color

Is there something I'm missing with the initial set up?

Got this error message as well...The file sizes are the same at 11,420 kb....Not sure what it's talking about or the bit-depth...

Error2

Thanks!

Rodney

This topic was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Rodney Bell

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@rockinrod Hi Rodney, yes the individual Ha and OIII channels are represented by mono images. This is perfectly normal. Next you will want to go to tab 9 Combine RGB and select one of the HOO 1 or HOO 2 formulae to create color images from them.

Regarding the popup, you get that when trying to combine images that don't have exactly the same dimensions in terms of X by Y pixels or if you are trying to combine 8 bit and 16 bit images. I think you are getting the message because the Ha and OIII images don't have exactly the same size, but that's hard to tell without knowing at what stage of processing your images you get this warning. If I am right then you can load both images in tab 1 as normal lights without loading any calibration files. Then go to tab 4 and click the Start Registration button. Once done you can then click the Save Registered Frames button in tab 4 and then continue processing with the registered frames.

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Good Morning,

This happened at the very last stage of the process. After everything was in, then I hit, re-calculate, that's when the error box popped up...

I should mention that I am using the same image to derive the Ha and OIII from since I imaged with a Dual Narrowband filter. So the size should be the same. I see my darks here and my Lights are 2KB different in size. Not sure what causes this. ???

Can I use FITS or TIF files when doing this, or does it matter? Yes it could be the 8 or 16 Bit thing, I may have missed that. I'll do another test set and see what happens.

There is another drop down at the top too, next to Normalize, is this supposed to be set on ADD? Default has it at Multiply-Scale.

This error popped up too somewhere along the way too....What would cause this?

Error1

Thanks

This post was modified 3 years ago by Rodney Bell

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Just leave everything on the standard settings for now. And that error, I'm not sure as it depends at which stage it popped up. If it was during normalization, it could be that you were combining incompatible data sets.

Best is to go back to the beginning I think. Maybe try this workflow;

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/postid/7610/

Rodney Bell reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I'm doing this now starting over...Just doing 10 lights and 5 darks.

Not sure why the 2KB difference. This is coming from my ASI294MC Pro

How long will you be available? I know your about 6-8 hours ahead of me here in Florida, it's 0735

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Oh it's 14:47 now here, so I'll be around for quite a while still. But depending on the family situation I might be super fast or taking an hour. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Well, here's the error again...Baffling...Last step, when i hit re-calculate...I kept them FITS files

Screen Shot 2021 01 17 at 7.47.30 AM

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mmm, at which exact stage did it pop up?

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

About all I can do is look at the link you sent and take it step by step...I don't know what all that Two Channel buffer stuff means...

Rodney

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

When I clicked the Re-Calculate, this is when the image should have opened...That's when i got the error

I just saw something in the workflow you sent, about selecting "Split Channels" I never did this...Let me use these instructions and take it step by step and see what happens. 

I'll catch up with you tomorrow if need be...

Thanks,

Rodney

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, no problem. i think I can only see what is happening if you could send some of that data (like what you tested now). If you want you can upload it to our server;

Go to https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com and use upload1 as username and upload1 as password.

Create a directory named “rockinrod-channelerror” and upload in there. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @rockinrod

@vincent-mod

When I clicked the Re-Calculate, this is when the image should have opened...That's when i got the error

I just saw something in the workflow you sent, about selecting "Split Channels" I never did this...Let me use these instructions and take it step by step and see what happens. 

I'll catch up with you tomorrow if need be...

Thanks,

Rodney

Yes, so I think that step might be the solution for you. I think that you're trying to normalize 3-channel RGB data with mono data. That is not possible and for which a split channels is necessary. We might have to make that a bit clearer and nicer in the failure department. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Well, I'm confused. On step 1 of those instructions it's telling me to stack and integrate as i normally would. So i did. Then it says clear or shut down APP, then load the stacked, integrated color file as a light file. But when it's saved from step one, it is saved as a FITS.

This program is designed to use single light files, not saved stacked files. This is where I'm lost

It's looking for Light files not Stacked, and Integrated FITS files...

Can you explain to me how Step 1 works?

Cut and Pasted from the Workflow Instructions:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RGB Integration
1. Stack and integrate the color files as you normally would but do no post processing on it yet.
2. Clear the input files out of APP (or close and restart it) and load in the stacked integrated color file as a light file."

I don't see any way to stack and integrate these files and still save them as a Light File, (Step 2)

Rodney

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I would suggest someone there do a comprehensive detailed you tube video on step by step instructions on how to Combine Images. I will look around to see if there is anything out there, because at this point I'm totally lost...

That workflow instruction step (1 & 2) is too vague for someone just starting to learn Hubble palette, and splitting and combining channels. I can understand most of the rest...It's the start that has me messed up.

Thanks in advance for whatever you can do...I really wanted to see this image in HA/OIII...Did this two nights ago.

Flaming Star Nebula Spikes 2 copy 2

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah yes, so integrated files can be loaded in as light, that is no problem.

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

You guys have a video instruction on all the steps required to combine Ha and OIII? I can't seems to get this thing working. Been at it for three days...

Rodney

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Not really, but maybe it's a nice thing to also go through this tutorial by Christian from iTelescope to get a general feeling for APP. It's not about Ha and OIII, but still mono images and towards combining this into an LRGB image; https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/complete-lrgb-tutorial-of-ngc292-the-small-magellanic-cloud-by-christian-sasse-itelescope-net-new-version-app-1-081/

The OIII and Ha should be processed like in the tutorial I mentioned above, just slowly try to follow that, you can load in integrations again as lights.

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

i'll see what I can do with it....

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

I'm not having any problems doing the Dual band in the Color setting. It pretty much automatic...In fact the APP is very user friendly...

Problem is with the Combine Image menu and procedures...

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, so maybe then the video from Christian may provide some tips there. If not, happy to assist further.

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

This guy makes it easy. watching this now. he's taking the color image with the HA/OIII in it, then using the split channel menu, to separate them. 

So i think what I need to do is to bring in my lights and darks, use the Ha-OIII-Color algorithm first, let the image load in color, then do the split thing, then combine Images. That should work...

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ah that's one from Rutger. Well, that may work but is an extra step I think. You can also simply extract the Ha and OIII and have those as mono images already directly from the raw data (with the "extract Ha" algorithm). You put tab 0 to that algorithm, load in your lights and darks, go to tab 5, normalize them and save them (all the way down in tab 5). You reload APP, do the same but now with "extract OIII" in tab 0, save those as well like above and you have all mono frames of OIII and Ha. If you have RGB data as well, you load those in with standard settings and darks, and you go to split channels and split those into mono images.

When you have all mono data, you can reload APP once again and load all of them into APP and assign them to the right channels (Ha, OIII, R, G, B). If you have those loaded you can go to tab 6 and click "integrate" and it'll produce integrations of all those channels, registered to each other as well and ready to be combined in the Combine tool.

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

There's a drop down Menu next to Normalize at the top. Does that stay on Multiply-Scale, Add or does it matter.

Also when I add the Ha and OIII, the last window opens where I select HOO-1, do I select the color RED and Blue for the channels or the HA or OIII further down the list...

After I normalized and Integrated, when the image loaded it was all black, no image??

I tried both ways and then some. Just not working...

Rodney

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

First one I was sent was this...Seems complicated, lots of steps, and hard to decipher

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I seem to be making progress, but there is something weird going on. 

Am I supposed to hit, Save files in the Calibrate, Register, and Normalize tabs? Or just process without saving? Was not sure.

I know about Splitting the Channels now on the HA and OIII...

I was wondering why the Separate split channel files when the image opened for my California Nebula, was in color, and not MONO...

This was after I split the channels, and before I combined them... I did it the same on the other images. Those came out MONO...

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Mm that shouldn't be the case I think. Would you still be able to share your data? If I can get it to work or see what might be wrong with the data, we might get to a faster solution. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod

I'm good! Thanks....But I just posted a question about having a tool in APP to remove Amp Glow...

This was just 10X300 sec subs BTW

Oh, Vince, one more thing. I found it much easier for me to combine channels by just clicking on Integrate, then everything behind that comes in on it's own...I do not save the files during the process either, this way i just end up with the HA-OIII-SII files only...Works great for me!

Bubble SHO File

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Rodney Bell

ReplyQuote
Share: