Color issues - Imag...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Color issues - Images look unbalanced and green?

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@jlawrence904)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I'm trying out APP for the first time and can't figure out why my single raw images in APP look all green and unbalanced. By the time they are stacked, the image shows a lot more detail than what I've been getting with DSS which is nice, but I'm losing all the nice reds and purples I got on the Orion Nebula. See attachment for a side by side comparison after they are stacked. Any idea why? It's a D5300 camera with 12-bit .NEF files.

Capture2

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @jlawrence904,

Welcome to the APP forum 😉

APP, by default, loads the linear raw sensor data of your NEF files, without applying camera White Balance. If the data looks green, then this is because the unaltered raw data is greenish and this is no problem, but quite normal. If you apply background correction with the Remove Light Pollution tool and then Star Color Calibration, the colors should look fine again 😉

Have a look at this topic, which will probably explain a lot with how the raw data translates to a non-linear pixel with different colors:

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/faq/dslr-how-to-check-the-linear-histogram-of-your-data-or-how-long-can-i-expose-my-flats/

DSS probably is applying the camera White Balance by default? You can enable this in APP in 0) RAW/FITS by selecting camera White Balance before processing.

Let me know if this answers your question 😉

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jlawrence904)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I believe the issue turned out to be the LP tool and star color tool like you said. The colors looked more balanced. It's not the deep purple color like I previously had, but I'm thinking that's okay. My colors look balanced and I see much more detail in the final processed image compared to my DSS stack.

Results can be seen here along with previous versions. Any critique is welcome:  https://www.astrobin.com/322302/F/?nc=user/

Thanks for the help. One small question though-- during calibration, integration, etc... does it matter whether the "stretch" box near the histogram is checked or unchecked? Or is that only when you go to manually save a file with the save button? I just want to make sure data isn't being stretched before getting stacked, if that makes sense.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @jlawrence904,

Okay, thank you for the feedback 😉

I checked your image on astrobin, perhaps the result is a bit too blue now. In star color calibration, you can adjust the calibration with the Blue-Red slider, this basically is the white star calibration. So I would try to adjust the colors a bit more towards Red, did you try that?

One small question though-- during calibration, integration, etc... does it matter whether the "stretch" box near the histogram is checked or unchecked? Or is that only when you go to manually save a file with the save button? I just want to make sure data isn't being stretched before getting stacked, if that makes sense.

No, indeed, it does not matter. The stretch selectxbox next to the save button, only applies to how you save the image when you push the save button. Normally you save the image with the stretch parameters applied. If you disable the stretch button, you will be saving the originally loaded data without the stretch parameters applied.

APP isn't doing any stretching operations in your data in 2) to 6). All data is kept linear if you have fed linear data to start with 😉

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: