Any idea of what th...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Any idea of what the performance hit will be for the Spectre / Meltdown patch?

10 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@szumi)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

I'm wondering how patches in the pipeline will affect intel users using APP?  I sure hope my i7 machine doesn't take too much of a hit.

ReplyQuote
(@gregwrca)
Black Hole

Huh?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Szumi,

According to what I have read about, there is quite a bit uncertainty about how computers will be affected by the upcoming patches. It can be anywhere from 2 to 30% I believe which is major.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

How APP will be affected is hard to tell at this point, from what I understand this influences the most basic operation of your computer, so the OS and all applications will be affected to a certain degree.

It's clear that this only affects computers with Intel processors. AMD users won't be affected, since it's a problem of Intel's design of their CPUs.

Hopefully, over time, this problem will be dealt with without serious performance hits...

Currently, I do not know if the most recent Intel CPUs are affected as well. Anybody knows?

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@gregwrca)
Black Hole

Gulp. Are we talking about some kind of BIOS update to Windows? I've got an i7 Generation 7 and I'm wondering what you guys are talking about.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Greg,

A couple of days ago, news came out that all Intel CPUs made in the last 10 years have 2 major security holes. Since these holes are burnt into the processor, it can only be fixed on the Operating System level, leading to a possible severe performance hit for all machines with an Intel CPU in them, made in the last 10 years or so.... How severe, that's the question. Intel downplays it for now it seems.

Check my link of the register 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@gregwrca)
Black Hole

I see. There was an Windows update a couple days ago I installed so I guess I'm all packed up? It's been cloudy but I'll have to rerun some old Subs and see if it took a hit.

ReplyQuote
(@szumi)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  
Posted by: Greg

I see. There was an Windows update a couple days ago I installed so I guess I'm all packed up? It's been cloudy but I'll have to rerun some old Subs and see if it took a hit.

I would be interested if you can detect a difference. 

Mr. Haverkamp, when you implement putting all the files that were used to create an image in the fits header can you also add processing time? It could be useful to benchmark changes.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

No, I don't think so, I believe the patch or patches are scheduled to be released next tuesday... It would be interesting to test before and after with the exact same settings. And I think lots of people worldwide will be teting the performance hit on their machines with intel CPUs...

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: Szumi

I would be interested if you can detect a difference. 

Mr. Haverkamp, when you implement putting all the files that were used to create an image in the fits header can you also add processing time? It could be useful to benchmark changes.

Yes me too.

Szumi, I have added it to my worklist to include integration time in the fits header of an integration 😉 A list of all frame names included in the integration is not convenient to add to the fits header. I can include the number of frames off course. If you want to have a list of all frame names included, I think I will need to create a separate .txt file for this. Including 500 frame names in a fits header is not convenient and possible the fits specification doesn't allow for so much information in the header of a single Fits HDU, I will need to check that.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@szumi)
Main Sequence Star
Topic starter  

The text file solution would be fine with me.

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: