24mm 4 panel Mosaic...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

24mm 4 panel Mosaic Will Not Stitch

18 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hello,

I have a 4-panel mosaic shot at 24mm and it will not stitch. 

I stacked my panels in APP then started a new session and attempted to stitch just to get weird messages like this

then when I hit OK on that I eventually get

before finally it fails.

The total resolution should not be exceeding 140ish MP total (should be even less considering how much they overlap), so clearly something is wrong with the software. 

Here are my panels if you'd like to give this a try.

I tried lots of different settings, here is one example: 

3) 7,000 stars

4) quadrilaterals or pentagons, scale stop 1-10 or 1-15, use DDC, Same camera and optics both on and off, mosaic registration mode and just regular projective model. 

5) advanced

6) 1st degree LNC, 3 iterations, MBB at 50%

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks I'll have a try as well.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@vincent-mod Hi Vincent, any luck?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Sorry, didn't have time yet, I'm starting work on data processing today.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Ok, tried it and I also got a out of memory error. I'll ask Mabula to check it out

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Could you try different projections? It may be that due to the rectilineair projection, the FOV becomes greater than 120 degrees, which may cause the issue.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Sure, I'll try. I'm not sure if you recall but I had a HUGE 85mm mosaic that I worked on for about 5 months before I was able to get APP to stitch it and the entire time the issue was having it set to "calibrated projective". As soon as I turned that off it stitched flawlessly. That's why I was avoiding it. I'll try with this, though. In general, I'm getting a lot of this error on beta 13:

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Here's what I got.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Disabling same camera/optics allowed it to stitch, but it is still misaligning the same way my mosaic was. 

(mercator)

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, same camera/optics should always be disable with a mosaic. That's a bit confusing indeed, but technically the camera/optics changes when you create a different FOV and different overall characteristic by making a mosaic. I'm guessing turning off dynamic distortion correction doesn't make it better in this case? If you want I can have a look at the data as well. It may have more issues with this wide view.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Sure, go ahead and give it a try! Like I said, this is a serious issue with mosaics in APP - I spent 5 months trying to get my milkyway mosaic to stitch before I realized simply turning off calibrated projective resulted in a perfect stitch.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Is there any update on this? I am trying to stitch a 3 panel panorama (14mm panesl) now for a student and getting the exact same errors. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Well it's an out of memory error and that is due to the Java implementation we have, which does have limits. Mabula is going to try to work around this, but that won't be a solution for now.

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi Vincent,

So you're saying the misalignment in the stars when using calibrated projective is due to the Java implementation? I'm a bit confused. I was able to successfully stitch 30ish panels by turning it off but I can't do the same with 3 panels now regardless of the settings. I have 40 gigs of ram.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

No, I was referring to the out of memory error above, I think it's at a limit there. But, I never asked what APP version you use I think, which one is it?

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I use whatever the latest beta version is. 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Michael,

Have you tried to align it with much less stars? 7000 stars is normally way to much, if you have nice overlap, it should already work fine with 1000-2000 stars ?

We will work on the registration of mosaics for sure, but we first need to complete save/load of settings and whole projects for the 2.0 stable release.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mikeabr)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Thanks, I just tried your suggestion and still misaligned.

Also, I am now unable to apply calibration frames to any of my data including old shots that used to calibrate in APP. 

ReplyQuote
Share: