No other drives vis...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-05-29: APP 2.0.0-beta2 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta2

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta2

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta2

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta2

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta2

No other drives visible

(@donald)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Hi,

I just installed APP on a MacPro 2009 running Catalina and a MacbookPro running Monterey. Both don't show any other drive both internal and external than the one it is installed on. Both run on 256 GB systemdisks without data and other drives don't appear within APP. What do I do wrong?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@donald Can you check and make sure that the drive appears under /Volumes please?

ReplyQuote
(@donald)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

In Disk Utility all drivenames are preceeded with \volume

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@donald My question was meant to ask if you see the drives under /Volumes in APP.

ReplyQuote
(@donald)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Ah, no, in APP there is nothing more than just "\" and "users" and "Donald", "Donald" being the working folder. There is nothing on a higher level than "\".

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@donald Just a side node. Unix and unix-like systems (like linux and macOS) don't have "\". They only have "/". In other words, the separator used is a forward slash. Only Windows uses backslashes. 

Having said that, what version of APP are you on?

ReplyQuote
(@donald)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Yes you are right "/". The version is 1.083.2 for Mac.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@donald Thanks for confirming the version of APP. I am not aware of any permission settings needed in the macOS settings to give APP permission to see external drives on Catalina. On Monterrey, can you check and verify that APP has the required permissions by clicking on the Apple logo to the upper left of the screen and selecting System Settings?

ReplyQuote
(@donald)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@wvreeven ? what do you mean?

ReplyQuote
(@donald)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Yo! Found it!

Go to the field: "Folder Name", delete whatever is in there and type: "/volumes".

Then the button for the file loader shows: "/volumes" and click on the button. Now the fileloader opens with all the drives.

ReplyQuote
(@donald)
Brown Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Now that I have APP running I can tell that this volume changing is very poorly programmed. It is simply impossible to easily go through your drives and folders. My built in drives are slower than my Samsung T5 drives on a USB 3.1 port so I have quite some work in switching from the internal drive that holds all my images and the work drive outside.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@donald Unfortunately Java on macOS doesn't reveal which directories are mapped to external folders so this is the best we can do. Agreed though that it is a shortcoming but as long as macOS doesn't improve in this respect, it cannot be solved.

ReplyQuote
Share: