Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Critical error when creating BPM (DSLR data)

8 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@jtphoto)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hello

Totally new to astrophotography but slowly learning. I have practiced with publicly available data and the program runs great on my system. I have now generated some data of my own but I have run into an issue with creating a bpm from DSLR data.

As per the video tutorials, I have loaded lights (64), darks (same exposure as lights), flats, and bias (50 of each) and attempt to create a BPM as the first step in the workflow. Everything is left at default - all I do is uncheck the "create masters" and check the "create bpm" button and hit the "calibrate and assign to lights" button. I get a critical warning stating the program needs the files to be at the same iso/gain. But they are! All shot at ISO 100, on the same night, same camera (Nikon Z7), RAW (NEF) files.

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@jtphoto)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I should further clarify: the error is regarding generation of a master flat.

"flat field calibration cannot be performed correctly"

This occurs both in the creation of a BPM, and also if I ignore the error and simply try and integrate the data.

The flat frames are at ISO 100 (same as all the other data) and shutter speed of 1/1oth sec.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

So are your bias frames also of the same ISO?

ReplyQuote
(@jtphoto)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Yes, all the frames are same ISO, same camera.

ReplyQuote
(@jtphoto)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

As an update: I just re-ran the calibrate step but simply checked the "create BPM" box and left everything else as is, i.e. created the other masters at the same time. Everything went perfectly and applied the masters and bpm to all the lights. Don't know if it's a nikon z7 specific thing or a temporary quirk but happy everything is working!

Thanks Vincent for your consideration.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Well, difference would be that you unchecked the create masters? That could be a "bug", as in that it should then warn it can't make a bpm without proper calibrated flats.

Great it works now though! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@jtphoto)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I notice in the upcoming new version notes some changes that should help the program run better with sensors like on the z7. I'll keep playing with it and try a different set of data to see if I can find something repeatable that might be useful to you. But as you say, great it works!

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi James, @jtphoto,

Thanks for sharing this, do let us know if something odd happens regarding ISO with your Z7 frame. Perhaps upload the data then to our upload server and let us know, so we can test it 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: