Utilise GPU for pro...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Utilise GPU for processing

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@oakey1979)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

While running APP, my CPU is flat out, while my GPU (Radeon RX480 with 8Gb RAM in my case) is running at just 2%. Could more use be made of GPUs (where available) to speed up some of the calculations?

ReplyQuote
(@brcooley)
Brown Dwarf

Mabula has been working on porting some of the computations to Vulkan.  You can read about it here.

He's been absent from these forums for quite some time so perhaps he is busy working away on it.

ReplyQuote
(@foucault)
White Dwarf

Hi,

I really hope, he does. Would be nice to have some kind of status report, at least. I've delayed some major processiong jobs, partly because I am, too, plagued by ominous error messages (sometimes as late as step 5 'Normalizing'), and partly because I hoped I could really save some PC/CPU run time when utilising the GPU (so I don't have to wait too long for the error messages during 'Normalizing' to appear😏) .

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes it's his main focus. Due to the growth of APP, he travels a lot these says as well so it's one of the reasons he's been unable to spend time on the forum unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
(@jbrazio)
White Dwarf

Do we have any update on this topic ? I see that the Vulkan thread is from April 1st but no progress has been shown so far.

This is indeed a high priority task not because Apple is deprecating OpenGL but because we use more and more using huge datasets that take forever to be processed even on a multicore system. When implemented, the performance improvement of buying a modest GPU card vs the expensive 32 thread Thread Ripper will be significant.

I'm a proud owner of licensed APP and SGP but both of them show exactly the same issue: not enough developers behind a closed source program to meet the customer demands.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Well not a real update, but I do know it's his top priority. It's still pretty complicated to roll out in a good manner so it needs time (as do all requests unfortunately). He's busy working on it.

ReplyQuote
Share: