Stumbling at first ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Stumbling at first hurdle: how to open an image?

9 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
(@brendanc)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi all,

So this is my second time around with the trial of APP. I gave up pretty quickly last time because I found the interface so confusing. However, I'm giving it another go, and I'm stuck again.

Basically, how do you open a FITS or TIF image just for post-processing? One that has already been stacked, either in APP or another package such as DSS? Because there will be times I'll want to stack subs during one session, then go away, come back and load up the stacked image for post processing during another session.

I've selected a working directory and can open Lights, Darks etc, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to open a TIF or FITS just as an image that I can then stretch, process, enhance, etc. No tutorials I've seen seem to cover this. I'm obviously missing something really basic here, and it's driving me nuts. Or perhaps I'm just wrong about what APP can, and cannot, do?

I should add I'm pretty computer-literate and comfortable with many other packages eg DSS, Registax, APT, StarTools, Photoshop (which I've been using for over 20 years) and so on. 

Any advice appreciated!

Damon Olsen reacted
ReplyQuote
(@wheeljack)
Main Sequence Star

You can process previously stacked images in APP as well. (I go back and do that all the time).

Open the 1) Load Tab and set your working directory. Then click "Other/Processed" Browse to where your stacked FITS/Tiffs are and load them into APP.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Adding to that: some of the tools in tab 9 don’t require you to have the images loaded in tab 1. Instead they can load directly from disk.

ReplyQuote
(@jimfox)
Molecular Cloud

I wanted to do the same, I just got APP, I was able to figure out how to load a previously stacked set of fits from DSS. So it's loaded, but now I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it so I can view the loaded tif file, so then I can edit it.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@jimfox Hi Jim,

Can you please explain what kind of editing you want to do? Depending on that you may need to open the image in a particular tool in APP, which may require a slightly different way of opening the file.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@jimfox)
Molecular Cloud

I just got the Optolong L-Pro filter to use on my ASI 2600mc Pro, and all of the images have the green cast to it (as I had read before it would do). A friend had tipped me that I could use the Neutralize BG option to remove the Green cast. So I have downloaded the Trial Version, and I wanted to try it and see how it worked for that before I get too heavily invested in APP.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@jimfox In that case, in tab 1 set a Working Directory. This could be the directory where the images are stored but it doesn't have to be. Then click the Lights button, browse to the directory with the images and select the ones you want to load. You may get a popup indicating that the images previously have been processed and asking you if you want to be sure to load them. Click yes. Next, double click an image in the image list at the bottom of the APP screen. The image now should become visible. On the right hand side, enable neutralize-BG. you can then click the save button on the upper right.

HTH, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@jimfox)
Molecular Cloud

That worked perfectly! Thanks so much, it totally removed the green cast.

I did notice that when it did it, all of the edges were much brighter then the center, like I hadn't put flats in or like a reverse vignette. Is there a way to correct that?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@jimfox Overcorrected edges and corners usually indicate an issues with the flats. Would it be an option for you to stack the raw data in APP and see if that solves the issue?

ReplyQuote
Share: