Stack example with ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Stack example with just lights, what am I doing wrong?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 J_DP
(@nateman_doo)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

I went to a dark site last year and did some imaging and running this data through APP for the first time.  All my stacks look awful.  These are 50 second light frames with a QHY 163C (OSC data)  The subs look very clean, but something is going on and I am not sure which of the myriad of options to enable or disable. I can't load flats, without dark flats and I just didnt take them, and the program yells at me if I just load flats without dark flats.  

Here is the stack as-is (stretched)

M45 Stack

Here is me messing with the light pollution function to make these weird vignetting go away:

M45 Light Pollution

There are 280 Subs in this stack.  

Which reminds me... when selecting boxes with LP, Vignetting, and background calibration... what exactly do you want to capture in these boxes?  black space? nebulosity? both?  

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

With the LP tool you want to select the areas without nebulosity if possible. Stars doesn't matter.

Regarding the use of flats, yes you need to have either a proper bias or a darkflat. This is because that signal needs to be substracted from the flats to be able to function properly.

ReplyQuote
 J_DP
(@nateman_doo)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

This one has Darks, Flats, and Dark Flats and I feel like I am starting off at a loss here.

APP SNIP

All my stacked data looks like this.  I have been able to correct it mostly with vignetting and light pollution/gradient tools, but I have data from a dark sight that looks like this too.  So I feel like I am making nebulosity go away in dark sight images where there is zero light pollution in the stack.  

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's likely overcorrection from your flats and likely cause by an issue in the darks or darkflats. If you want you can share like 10 lights, 10 flats, 10 darks and 10 darkflats or bias frames for us to investigate;

ReplyQuote
Share: