Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Saving stretched APP images to file changes image characteristics

(@andersstange)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have APP beta 4 showing some odd behavior when saving stretched images which I have not noticed in earlier versions.

A stretched image saved in APP as a 32bit tiff-file drastically increases brightness and decreases contrast when viewed in an external image tools (verified with several tools). This does not happen when saving the file as 16bit after which the image in APP and the external tool looks more or less identical.

The second odd thing is that the ICC profile information selected when saving a 16bit stretched image in APP does not seem to get included properly. When these files are opened in an external image tool (Affinity Photo in my case) it complains that a profile has not been assigned. This problem does not occure for images in APP saved as 32-bit files where the saved ICC-profile is recognized in the external image tool.

So eg. I save a stretched file in APP as a 16bit AdobeRGB tiff-file. When I open it in AffinityPhoto is says a profile has not been assigned, and then assigns the default profile, sRGB, instead.

Im not certain these are issues in APP or if they are issues with my environment.

Are these known problems or could you please test if you can reproduce them?

Im running APP on Windows 10 latest release.

Thank you,

Anders 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Anders @andersstange,

Adding an ICC profile has been tested thoroughly by myself in combination with the latest Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop did recognize all the different icc profiles that APP adds in all bit depths.

This testing was done when the new file save dialog was implemented, I think for the 1.083 version.

I can only assume at the moment that the other external application (Affinity Photo) here is to blame. I have not seen problems with this myself with the latest beta's and I did use this function many times. I have never used Affintity Photo myself, only Photoshop as an external viewer for testing purposes when it comes to color management.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@andersstange)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Hi Mabula,

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, I need to look further into this problem. It is strange though, I did use the save function extensively myself up until May this year without any problem like this and the external program has not had any updates since. I’ll try photoshop.

Anders

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

@andersstange ,

Great, let me know if that does work correctly 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@andersstange)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

I have done some further tests this morning, and as far as I can assess something must have changed in APP between version 1.083.2 and the 2.0.0 beta4 to cause both the problems I have described.

I have verified this the following way:

I have installed the beta 4 version on 2 computers and the problem remains the same on both.

I have then uninstalled beta 4 and reinstalled the 1.083.2 version of APP on both computer and suddenly both problems disappear. A saved 32bit image now displays in an external image tool identical to what it was in APP and the ICC profile for the 16bit file is now recognized by Affinity Photo (I have not tried Photoshop, turns out I dont have easy access, but I hope this is proof enough to investigate the problem further).  Ill be happy to send the 2 APP generated Tiff files that illustrates the issues as well as the original fit file for you to take a look at.

For the time being, the workaround for me is to remain on version 1.083 until these issues have been resolved.

Anders

ReplyQuote
Share: