Pixinsight Trial

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Pixinsight Trial

6 Posts
5 Users
5 Likes
14.6 K Views
(@cheetah)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Although I'm a customer of APP, I thought I'd give Pixinsight a try.

I spent 3 or 4 days reading tutorials, watching videos and following along step by step with my data.  What APP does in 10 steps, Pixinsight seems to require 30 or 40 (completely un-intuitive) steps.  When a tutorial told me to do x-y-z, I was hunting for ages through the menus and dialogs.  It honestly took about a week before I was able to fully process a single image.

Yes, it's good software and provided me a good quality result.  Just for fun, I thought I'd run the same data through APP.  Compare Apples to Apples.   The winner:  APP.   Better final image, better interface and by FAR the best user experience.

THANK YOU Mabula!  I love the direction this software is headed and I'm excited to see it progress.  Keep it up!!

This topic was modified 6 years ago by Cheetah

SdA, astrogee and xiga reacted
ReplyQuote
(@richbamford)
Hydrogen Atom

I'm approaching this from the other direction as a long-standing PixInsight user I'm giving APP a trial.

I think it's more a mindset thing rather than one being better than the other.  I've no doubt if I'd come straight to APP from DSS I'd have found it a breeze.  However, having spent a few years getting to know PI, I found APP a struggle at first, mainly because it's so different (once I'd watched Sara's videos it made far more sense though).  I'd say that PI is currently a far more powerful tool but it's a long and very steep learning curve, whereas APP is pretty straightforward and intuitive in contrast.

The key thing is that APP and PI are not versions of the same thing, they are totally different fish.  APP is a self-contained application that encapsulates the workflow for the entire calibration and integration process.  PI, on the other hand, is a library of image processing tools and very much relies on the user to provide the workflow.  So far I haven't found APP to be significantly faster (in terms of CPU time) or much different in terms of the results.  Where APP does win big time is in being far less tedious and does most of the thinking for you.

Personally, I like both APP and PI.  I'd say that if you currently use one or other of them and it does what you need it to do there's probably no point in switching.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: Cheetah

Although I'm a customer of APP, I thought I'd give Pixinsight a try.

I spent 3 or 4 days reading tutorials, watching videos and following along step by step with my data.  What APP does in 10 steps, Pixinsight seems to require 30 or 40 (completely un-intuitive) steps.  When a tutorial told me to do x-y-z, I was hunting for ages through the menus and dialogs.  It honestly took about a week before I was able to fully process a single image.

Yes, it's good software and provided me a good quality result.  Just for fun, I thought I'd run the same data through APP.  Compare Apples to Apples.   The winner:  APP.   Better final image, better interface and by FAR the best user experience.

THANK YOU Mabula!  I love the direction this software is headed and I'm excited to see it progress.  Keep it up!!

Thank you very much for the compliment @cheetah, it's my pleasure 😉

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: RichBamford

I'm approaching this from the other direction as a long-standing PixInsight user I'm giving APP a trial.

I think it's more a mindset thing rather than one being better than the other.  I've no doubt if I'd come straight to APP from DSS I'd have found it a breeze.  However, having spent a few years getting to know PI, I found APP a struggle at first, mainly because it's so different (once I'd watched Sara's videos it made far more sense though).  I'd say that PI is currently a far more powerful tool but it's a long and very steep learning curve, whereas APP is pretty straightforward and intuitive in contrast.

The key thing is that APP and PI are not versions of the same thing, they are totally different fish.  APP is a self-contained application that encapsulates the workflow for the entire calibration and integration process.  PI, on the other hand, is a library of image processing tools and very much relies on the user to provide the workflow.  So far I haven't found APP to be significantly faster (in terms of CPU time) or much different in terms of the results.  Where APP does win big time is in being far less tedious and does most of the thinking for you.

Personally, I like both APP and PI.  I'd say that if you currently use one or other of them and it does what you need it to do there's probably no point in switching.

@richbamford, thank you for sharing your feedback.

As the main APP developer, I am off course heavily biased 😉 but please, let me share what I envision with APP's development:

My purpose is to create a complete Deep Sky Image Processing application.

APP will be expanded with a lot more functions and feautures in due time while focusing on and maintaining as much ease of use for the user as I possibly can.

I aim to develop in a modular fashion and I want modules to have deep integration with other modules if needed/wished. This is what APP currently has and is. This makes it possible to be user-friendly and internally smart.

Furthermore, I intend to be strongly innovative in the astrophotography sphere, functions like Adaptive Airy Disc debayering, MBB & LNC and multiple-view mosaic registration are examples of this.

APP's development is relatively very young when compared to all other players out there, so I personally think that APP's performance and results are catching up really fast with the best out there, but that's my personal take off course.

Regarding post-processing, yes, APP still has little functions compared to others in this regard. This is because I think, a good deep sky image processing application is based on the fundamentals of data calibration, registration, normalization and integration. That is where the fun starts ;-).

So development up until now, has been largely focused on these modules. Since these modules have now matured greatly in APP's first year of existence, development will soon shift to focus more and more on adding new feautures for post-processing.

Finally, since APP was launched last year, many photographers and reviewers have tried to make a comparison with the best applications out there which is perfectly legitimate. One, from my point of perspective, argument for these comparisons has rarely been mentioned, which I think is vital to make a fair and reasonable comparison with an outlook into the future:

All applications to which APP has been compared since it's launch last year, have had 10+ years of development time more than APP.

But like I said, I am hugely biased off course...

Main goal with APP has been and will always be: to try to contribute to the enjoyment of astrophotography to users all around the globe 😉

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@tsk1979)
Red Giant

I am currently a Trial user of APP, and its giving me great results. Sequator does come close for single session processing, but multi session, APP rules.

I am hoping to get a good usable Duo Narrowband Filter workflow, and will make final call between Pixinsight and APP, though from what have seen, APP seems better and developers are friendlier and patient even with silly questions.

ReplyQuote
(@astrogee)
Neutron Star

I came from Nebulosity - very manual but good results. I tried APP and PI about the same time, almost a year ago, with no previous experience on either and could see that PI was going to be tough slogging, a bit like Photoshop. My friend chose PI and I chose APP, and I'm totally happy with my choice. I believe applications should be autonomous as possible, do all the heavy lifting and make the right processing choices where possible too - I'm not one who likes to tweak - a good program should make my life easy, not complicated. APP has met my expectations. After time I may start tweaking... I just started to use the " % lights to stack" slider! Lol. Thanks for a great product!

ReplyQuote
Share: