Hardware support an...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Hardware support and benefit of AMD Threadripper system?

6 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@swissastro)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi,

I'm about to create a new workstation to accelerate my workflows and was wondering if anybody had experience with a system based on the new AMD 3960x or 3970x processors.

Given the tests it looks like this could be a game changer, especially if combined with an M2. NVME Disk that , given the implementation of the PCIe 4.0 spec , would allow insane disk transfer times, unknown until now.

As building such a system is nearly twice the cost of an Intel system I'd really love to hear back from anybody who can tell me it APP would benefit from this. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes, Mabula (the developer of APP) uses a threadripper system. It indeed is very well suited for a program like APP, cores are fully used where possible by our code. SSD disk helps a lot as well and a lot of memory. So yes, if you have the possibility to get such a system, go for it.

ReplyQuote
(@swissastro)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Thanks that makes my choice easy then.

ReplyQuote
(@swissastro)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

So I follwed your guidance and for anyone interested I can confirm that APP runs nicely on a new Threadripper 3970 system, uses the cores superb:

Screen Shot 11 02 20 at 08.24 PM

Calculation time in APP went down from above 4hrs to 6 minutes. Old system : Core I7 8770k, 32GB Ram , 1TB NVME PCIE3 disks, Nvidia GTX1080Ti, New System: AMD Threadripper3970x, 128GBRam, several 1TB and 2TB NVME M2 PCIE4 disks, NVIDIA 1080Ti

This post was modified 3 years ago by Achim Freyer

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Wow, that's quite the beast there. 🙂 Nice!

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Black Hole

Wow! Looks like it's worth it

ReplyQuote
Share: