Hardware support an...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

19 June 2021: Our upload server https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/ has been migrated successfully to our new office with higher upload and download speeds (nearly 10MByte/sec up/down ) ! We now have 1 general upload user called: upload with password: upload. The users upload1 - upload5 have been disabled.

31 May 2021: APP 1.083-beta2 has been released ! APP 1.083 stable will follow soon afterwards. It includes a completely new Star Reducer Tool, New File Saver Module, Improved Comet registration and much more, check the release notes here!

DOWNLOADS are available HERE!

Hardware support and benefit of AMD Threadripper system?  

RSS

(@swissastro)
Brown Dwarf Customer
September 1, 2020 09:11  

Hi,

I'm about to create a new workstation to accelerate my workflows and was wondering if anybody had experience with a system based on the new AMD 3960x or 3970x processors.

Given the tests it looks like this could be a game changer, especially if combined with an M2. NVME Disk that , given the implementation of the PCIe 4.0 spec , would allow insane disk transfer times, unknown until now.

As building such a system is nearly twice the cost of an Intel system I'd really love to hear back from anybody who can tell me it APP would benefit from this. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
September 3, 2020 11:57  

Yes, Mabula (the developer of APP) uses a threadripper system. It indeed is very well suited for a program like APP, cores are fully used where possible by our code. SSD disk helps a lot as well and a lot of memory. So yes, if you have the possibility to get such a system, go for it.

ReplyQuote
(@swissastro)
Brown Dwarf Customer
September 3, 2020 18:46  

Thanks that makes my choice easy then.

ReplyQuote
(@swissastro)
Brown Dwarf Customer
November 2, 2020 20:28  

So I follwed your guidance and for anyone interested I can confirm that APP runs nicely on a new Threadripper 3970 system, uses the cores superb:

Screen Shot 11 02 20 at 08.24 PM

Calculation time in APP went down from above 4hrs to 6 minutes. Old system : Core I7 8770k, 32GB Ram , 1TB NVME PCIE3 disks, Nvidia GTX1080Ti, New System: AMD Threadripper3970x, 128GBRam, several 1TB and 2TB NVME M2 PCIE4 disks, NVIDIA 1080Ti

This post was modified 11 months ago by Achim Freyer

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
November 4, 2020 14:02  

Wow, that's quite the beast there. 🙂 Nice!

ReplyQuote
(@whixson)
Neutron Star Customer
April 25, 2021 16:48  

Wow! Looks like it's worth it

ReplyQuote
Share: