Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Flat and Dark Flat, APP thinks they are different

Page 1 / 2

(@adstottyahoo-com)
Main Sequence Star Customer
Topic starter  

I am doing a 5 session integration.  I have double and triple checked but it keeps saying the flat and darkflats have either a different exposure or gain setting.

I have tried a few times and it keeps saying this.  The exposure times are different between the sessions but every session has the same settings.

Does the exposure time/gain setting have to be the same for all 5 sessions?

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@adstottyahoo-com What data are you loading exactly? All mono or all RGB? Or a mix? 

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

All RGB.  I just tried for a third time, I got the same warning, but it only popped up once and it created the correct number of master flats and master darks.  So I'm not sure if it worked correctly this time or not.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@adstottyahoo-com Would you mind uploading, say, 5 flats and dark flats per session to

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

using upload for both username and password (note that your APP credentials don't work) to a new directory called adstottyahoo-com_flat_problem and let me know when the upload is done? Then I will have a look and try to see what the issue may be.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Andrew @adstottyahoo-com,

I have fixed your issue, it is caused by a concurrency bug in the calibration engine:

https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/release-information/astro-pixel-processor-1-083-2-preparing-release/

FIXED, CONCURRENCY ISSUE IN CALIBRATION ENGINE, as mentioned in this topic https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/community/postid/21090/ the calibration engine was not behaving properly. It could not find masterdarkflats for flat calibration in this case allthough they were provided. It was a concurrency issue which will occur if more than 1 master is created in MasterBias, MasterDark, MasterDarkFlat, MasterFlat creation.

I am going to release this fix today and then you can check if the problem is gone 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Andrew, @adstottyahoo-com

Can you retry with 1.083.2? Downloads are at the top of the forum 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin thank you for working on this.  It has been very crazy at my house... Furnace issues, work issues, and I am leaving on a trip a day early due to weather.  I will be back Wednesday and I will test it then.   Sorry for the delay.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

No problem Andrew @adstottyahoo-com. I am quite certain that 1.083.2 has fixed your issue 😉

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin Still not working as intended.

I do have the update installed.  I was told the cause of the issue may be using  one set of flats and darkflats for two different sessions, so I did combine the lights from the two sessions into one session and applied the flats and DF to that session.  I have included a screen capture to show the ISO and Gain are the same for flats and dark flats.  It's creating two separate DF masters and two Master Darks.  Thanks for working on this.

master capture
Capture

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

I moved on to another project with M3 and APP is having the same behavior with this as well.  I have double and triple checked, the ISO and exposure times are the same for every flat and the corresponding Darkflat.

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

I have more information.   I would really like to figure out what is going on with this.

Some background info---When I use NINA and the flat wizard, the exposure time for the flats and darkflats are always the same for that particular session but the next night they will be different.

After running Step 2 "Calibration" and creating the master files, I received the warning below (warning comes at the 60% point)...I click okay and when step two was done I noticed the MasterDarkFlat files for the three sessions all had the same exposure time.  This didn't make sense because the subframes for the three sessions of darkflats were different every night.  The exposure time for the three masterDF happened to be the same as the first session's exposure time.   I double and triple checked that the exposure times for the three sessions of DarkFlats matched the flats.  I included screen shots to show this.  

It has always been my understanding that I should be taking flats and darkflats every night of imaging.  I've NOT been told that they have to be the exact exposure time from night to night...is this the problem?

Capture
MDF all 8.53
DF session 1 2
MDF session 2 3

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

I feel that you are complicating things when it is not needed. It is also a bit hard to understand what exactly you are doing with all those darkflats for  flat calibration and darks as well.

master capture

This already looks weird to me: you have 2 masterdarks with exactly the same exposure time, loaded for all sessions but the file names indicate they are for different versions. Are these identical masterdarks or are they different in some aspect? Loading it like this in not logical, how do you know which masterdark will be used if you load them for all sessions with exactly the same exposure and gain settings?

Why are there 10 masterdarkflats where you seem to have 5 duplicates of others in terms of exposure time? What are you trying to do here? Same as with the masterdarks, how do you know which one will be used if you have duplicates in terms of gain and exposure loaded for the same session?

First of all, darkflats should not be that session dependent if you use a cooled camera like in your case, right? Darkflats have very short exposure times so they are almost the same as bias frames. There is very little dark current build up to create problems. So don't worry to much about creating new darkflats each time... when you create new flats. I don't. I would shoot flats for different filters with different exposure times and simply use 1 batch of darkflats with 1 exposure time to calibrate all flats. Should perfectly work and is much simpler than what you are doing here I think.

Please realise also that you can not assign the same frames on multiple sessions, I can only assume that that is were the problem lies in your workflow somehow.

If you can upload your dataset nicely arranged in folders per filter and session of how you are loading it, I will be happy to have a look to better understand what you are doing or trying to do, because at the moment, I am sure I can not follow it completely.

Use the upload instructions as show on the top left of our forum and let me know once uploaded 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin

Yes, it's a cooled camera.  Initially the issue was applying flats for multiple sessions, I did stop doing that but I still received the warning.  I have separate flats and dark flats for every session.

sorry, I posted the wrong screen capture.  I realized I had accidentally loaded my Dark subframes as master darks.  I ran it again and I had the same issue.

I'll take a look at the instructions and make sure I'm doing it right but basically all I do is load the lights, flats, and dark flats as a session then rinse and repeat for all subsequent sessions. 

I'll let you know when the data is uploaded also.

MDF all 8.53

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

The files are uploaded to Stott_Andrew_Calibration.  There are three folders for each session. The flats and dark flats in each folder were ONLY applied to that particular session, I do not use flats or darkflats for multiple sessions.  I use OSC camera so no filters were used.

My workflow is to upload the lights, flats, and df to their own individual session, just as the folders are labeled.  In the past I have used a MasterBPM and a MasterDark; however, with the issues I have been having I have been uploading the individual subframes for the darks and then having it create a new BPM every time.  This has not made a difference.

I pretty much leave everything at default settings for APP with the exception of creating 32 Bit Masters, which I do have selected.  I also will generally run the light leveling function (don't remember the name of it) because I always have multiple nights of images.  

I've only been using this software for about a month.  When I first started using it, I do not recall getting this error and I have not changed how I upload subframes.  The only thing I have changed is I went from a Canon 600D to the 294MC pro which also changed the file type from .cr2 to .fits.

I do appreciate you working on this.  It is difficult for me to explain the issues I'm having without it sounding like I'm an idiot (It also doesn't help when I post the wrong screenshots).  What makes sense in my mind does not always come across so clearly to someone else.  

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Thank you for your upload, I will check it right now and will let you know later today 😉 what i find.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Andrew,

I just tested your data with 1.083.2 and all is working as expected over here. The flats are calibrated with their respective masterdarkflat and i do not get the warning that you get. Did you try in 1.083.2 or 1.083.3 (windows) ? If you did, then I can only assume that your doing something odd when you load in all data ? I just load in all darks, flats, dark flats and lights and assing the channel and session. The darks are loaded simply for all channels and sessions.

Please check this screenshot:

Seems to Work As Axpected

All seems to be fine to me.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

@adstottyahoo-com , I also tried a second time without the multi-channel option, again works perfectly as expected in the 1.083.2 and 1.083.3 releases:

Seems to Work As Axpected 2

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

That is so odd.  I double checked; I am on 1.083.3. 

I don't know what I could be doing wrong when I upload the files.  I will try to process just the files I sent you instead of the entirety of all three sessions.  Maybe I have a bad file that is causing an issue.

Can you think of any setting or the way I am uploading that would cause this???

Thanks again for checking this for me, I do appreciate it.  

ReplyQuote
(@adstottyahoo-com)
Topic starter  

@mabula-admin 

I ran the entire data set again.  This time I got the same warning below; however, the calibration frames turned out okay.  The exposure times were all okay.  I'm okay with the warning as long as it is creating appropriate calibration frames.

Attempt M3 all sessions all data
Capture

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Posted by: @adstottyahoo-com

@mabula-admin 

That is so odd.  I double checked; I am on 1.083.3. 

I don't know what I could be doing wrong when I upload the files.  I will try to process just the files I sent you instead of the entirety of all three sessions.  Maybe I have a bad file that is causing an issue.

Can you think of any setting or the way I am uploading that would cause this???

Thanks again for checking this for me, I do appreciate it.  

@adstottyahoo-com , so how many frames are you processing, is it much more than the dataset than you uploaded ?

I have no clue at the moment, I simply load all frames assign them and no problems occur. Maybe that with a much larger amount of frames, the behaviour is different which would still indicate a concurrency (multi-threading) issue in the calibration engine.

Could you upload the entire dataset so I can test better?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: