Artifacts in Final ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Artifacts in Final Mosaic Integration

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@dandra)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

I'm new to mosaics having completed my first one this morning. At first glance the results didn't look too bad, then I looked closer. The subject was the Rosette Nebula in Ha and Oiii using an Esprit 150 and Atik 16200 Mono with Astronomik filters. Upon close inspection, there are tiny lines or rows of dots that appear throughout both channels. I do not see such artifacts, or at least I can't recognize them, in the individual subs. Any ideas on what might cause this? The two channels can be found in the DropBox folder linked below.

Thanks!

David

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4o2jw6n31426lh/AABEw4fu9P-0xqcnHW7tDvxBa?dl=0

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

@dandra Hi David,

Such lines get caused by a small drift during guiding combined with APP not completely being able to get rid of all hot pixels. Did you apply any darks while processing? If yes, were they taken at the same gain, offset and temperature as the lights? If also yes then you may want to play with kappa low and kappa high for the Master Dark in tab 2 to make sure that the hot pixels get rejected better.

ReplyQuote
(@dandra)
Molecular Cloud
Topic starter  

Thanks, Wouter! I re-shot my darks (they were several months old) and adjusted the kappa values. That took care of almost all of the artifacts!  David

ReplyQuote
Share: