APP 1.083 win64 sud...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2022-08-17: APP 2.0.0-beta3 has been released !

Release notes

Download links per platform:

windows 2.0.0-beta3

macOS x86_64 2.0.0-beta3

macOS arm64 M1 2.0.0-beta3

Linux DEB 2.0.0-beta3

Linux RPM 2.0.0-beta3

APP 1.083 win64 suddenly closes without notice after integrating, while loading images

(@sjpp71)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Hi, I recently downloaded the trial version (1.083 64bit) for Windows.

My computer runs windows7, 16GB RAM (I assigned 8GB for APP).

Free space is about 30GB in harddisk.

A few days ago, I was able to process one entire set of lights, darks, flats and it showed the end result on screen. It was  lengthy but it ended with no errors.

Few days later I tried a different set of images, it ran through the process and generated the integrated .fits file, but at the end the program closes on its own (!) No error message, nothing, it just went out.

I attempted to load a fits image from thats previous process (set working directory, click on processed, the file appears in the file list). when I double click on the file, it tries to load it (you can see the advance gauge filling up) but then it just closes in the same way. Tried with other images (.fits, .tif), just to get the same result.

Probably I'm doing something wrong, I searched through the forum (and googled a bit) but I have found nothing so far.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Galaxy Admin

@sjpp71 Hi Sergio. Can you make sure to use version 1.083-4? The earlier 1.083 versions all contain several bugs that may explain the behavior you see.

Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@sjpp71)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I'm using version 1.083.4 (please see below)

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, with same result.

I tried the new beta version 2

, but it always crashes while attempting to load an image, or right after finishing integration. You can hear the gong, and immediately closes. [Edit: integrated files are usable, I can open them in siril, photoshop, etc, but not in APP].

I found a log file in the APP folder, I'll pin it here in case you you'd like to have a look at it.

The strange thin is that it worked right out of the box so to speak. But now no longer.

Looking forward to you reply. Thanks.

P.S. Another thing I did, I raised the memory usage from default (I think it was 2GB) to 8GB. Just in case. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Sergio Pereira

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

This to me seems more like a system resources issue I think. It shouldn't just crash, which is why I'm thinking maybe you have an issue at the system level. What computer are you using and with what specs? Are you running specific tools to optimize memory usage and such?

ReplyQuote
(@sjpp71)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Im running APP on a i7 3rd gen 2.6 ghz, 16 GB RAM, on Windows 7. Harddisk space is 50GB. Not using memory optimization tools, as far as I know.

Currently I can't  open integrated images in APP as it seems to go through the loading process, then all of a sudden closes just like that. Same happens at the end of the integration stage, you hear the 'gong' indication, and when tryinf to load the image you can observe the same behaviour.

I know is a bit of an old system the one I'm using, maybe these newer  APP versions don't run properly on older windows versions?

About the log message, I could try and update Java in my system and see if it makes any difference. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

APP has its own JVM so no Java version on your computer is needed. Could you maybe upload an image that crashes APP? Would be interesting to see if, for some strange reason, that causes it. If not, it must be a systems problem.

ReplyQuote
(@sjpp71)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Aha, I found that if OpenGL is not active prior to attempting to load an image, APP crashes (in my pc at least). If OpenGL is activated, then the image loads and is visible on the screen. And I was able to edit the image (stretch, invert, Tools, saving, etc), with no problem.

Once the image is loaded, if OpenGL is deactivated, APP "faints" as described.

I just uploaded a couple of videos (folder sjpp71-crash) showing what happened when toggling from OpenGL to CPU, just in case you consider necessary to have a look at them...

Thank you very much for your support. I'm very pleased with your promptly replies!.

Sergio P.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Sergio Pereira

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Quasar Admin

You're welcome and thanks for finding how to produce the issue. I'll also forward that to Mabula.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin

Hi Sergio @sjpp71,

Your videos show that your system has an OpenGL issue. When you enable OpenGL, by clicking on the CPU button, APP tries to load the image into videocard memory using OpenGL. Then it clearly crashes.

What does the general console report about OpenGL when you start APP?

What kind of graphical hardware does your computer have?

And which graphical driver are you using? It is quite likely that you need to update the driver to fix this issue. Perhaps the current driver is a microsoft driver, and that is usually the cause of problems like this.

From the crash report we can see:

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0000000058bbaf79, pid=11920, tid=11620
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-17.0.1+12 (17.0.1+12) (build 17.0.1+12)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-17.0.1+12 (17.0.1+12, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, compressed class ptrs, parallel gc, windows-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C [atio6axx.dll+0x15caf79]

This clearly shows that the crash occurs in your ati graphical driver, atio6axx.dll explaining that APP can't use OpenGL with the current driver. Can you update the driver or reinstall it?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@sjpp71)
Molecular Cloud Customer
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula, thanks for replying.

When APP starts, the general console reports as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: profiling system for OpenGL compatibility...
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: trying to get hardware OpenGL profile
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: found hardware OpenGL 4 profile...
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: creating OpenGL image viewer...
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: OpenGL image viewer is hardware accelerated = true
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: OpenGL image viewer is double buffered = true
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: OpenGL image viewer has 16 depth bits.
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: initializing OpenGL 4
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: creating GL4 panel
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL Shading Language Version: 4.40
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: getting display surface scale...
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: using GL Shading Language Version: 4.00
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: create image Vertex and Fragment shaders...
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: Texture VertexShader log:
2139 -
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: Texture FragmentShader log:
2139 -
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: create selectbox Vertex and Fragment shaders...
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: SelectBox VertexShader log:
2139 -
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: SelectBox FragmentShader log:
2139 -
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: creating buffers...
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: getting maximum Texture size...
2139 - IMAGE VIEWER: GL4: maximum texture size: 16384
2139 - NATIVE JAVA GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE COMPONENTS: Direct 3D enabled: false
2139 - NATIVE JAVA GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE COMPONENTS: OpenGL enabled: false
2139 - FILE ENCODING: UTF-8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APP console oputput on start

My PC specs are: 

Processor: intel i7 3rd Gen

RAM: 16GB

50GB free space on HDD

please see image from CPUID-Z with more details.

CPUID

Graphics Card: CPUID reports (I have never opened this laptop to verify):

AMD Radeon HD 7570M, 1GB memory

I'm attaching image taken from GPUID

GPU Z

I downloaded and installed the latest version of drivers from the AMD site. After install, GPUID-Z shows that OPENGL version is 4.4.

So drivers seem to be up to date now. However, the program crashes whenever software emulation is turned off.

With software rendering it is usable though. I can integrate and edit images with no problem, I guess it would be faster if the graphic hardware were working properly, although it's not terribly slow as it is now.

Please let me know if more info is needed. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share: