integration problem...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

integration problem V2.0.0 beta 26

17 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mikem)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Astro Pixel Processor V2.0.0 Beta 26
Mac Studio M1 Max
Memory: 32GB

Camera: ZWO ASI 183pro
Lucerta Flat Field Generator
Darks, Flats and Dark Flats created in N.I.N.A

Lights\Darks exposure 453s
Flats\DarkFlats 10ms

I’ve just run an integration of a recently complement of Lights, Darks, Flats and Flat Darks of M1 (Crab Nebula), the final integration came out as though the flats and darks had not been applied. I ran it several times with a few variations and always got the same results. I then ran it through PixInsight and the result was as expected, further inspection showed that the flats and darks did not have a master but the dark flat did. I then ran it on a different data set (M51 Whirlpool) and got the same result of missing masters. I then installed a previous Beta, version 19 on the same data sets and everything came out as expected. Is there a switch in Beta 24 that I’m missing that I need to enable (or disable) in order for the masters to be applied.

Conjecture
A cursory observation, there may be a naming problem as the flat’s master file seems to overwrite the dark’s master which is overwritten by the dark flat master as the dark flat master is the only one showing in the load dialogue under the masters section.

Am I missing something here or it this a bug?

Kind regards.

Mike Morrison

ReplyQuote
(@mikem)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi,

I was hoping to have had some sort of reply even a no pro problem here but it seems that the post has been marked solved (and private).  This was my first post in these forums and I'm not fully informed as to how the ins and outs work so it's not impossible I did it by mistake.  

An update, my reference to Beta 24 should have been to Beta 26.

I've run the same data set on Beta's 19, 25 and 26 (I don't have 20, 21, 22, 23 and only Beta 19 worked, Beta's 25 and 26 failed to integrate with the flats and darks.  Does anyone have any idea as to why not?  I'd be grateful for some sort of clue as to where I'm going wrong with the integration.

Thanks for your help.

Mike M.

ReplyQuote
(@tfergu01)
White Dwarf

@mikem Hey Mike, I just came across your post. I just updated to V 2.0.0 beta 26 last week. I think I was on beta 2 before that. I was using the 183MC Pro and never had any issues. I just got a 183MM Pro and my first collection of narrowband stacks this week looked good but once RGB combined and with the stars removed I noticed a grid pattern as if maybe the calibration frames were not applied properly. I posted a question on the forum yesterday, I'll see what they say about it. I may have to download beta 19 and restack and see if that helps my situation.   Thanks, Tom

ReplyQuote
(@tfergu01)
White Dwarf

Well Mike, beta 19 did not help me. Still seeing a grid pattern after Starnet star removal. Never had that occur with the color camera but I am not noticing it before so I don't know if it's occurring in APP or Starnet. May have to go back to beta 2 and see if that helps. Arggghhh!

ReplyQuote
(@mikem)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Tom, I should also have said that I'm using 183MC Pro, I've downloaded all Beta's from 19->27 and will run them all to see where this problem was introduced.  I think I'm in for a long haul.  I will post the results when I have them.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@mikem)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Tom, have you got any further in your investigation? I've run the
Beta's from 19 through 23 and only Beta19 so far has produced any Masters.
I ran the calibration routine by itself in Beta23 in order to see what files were
produced and noted that output screen showed that the master were created and I noted files dark.dat and flat.dat were created but deleted. I aasune that these files are the precursors to the master dark and master flat. I do have a master flat dark, BadPixelMap, rejectionMap and what looks like a reference frame. All the Beta's past 19 do not produce and use a dark or flat master.

Is this a general bug someone else must have noticed it or is it peculiar to the M1 Max chip?

Any idea how I report a bug?

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@tfergu01)
White Dwarf

Hi Mike, my processing with beta 2 version ( I think ) a few weeks ago with the 183MC Pro worked great and I have never had an issue calibrating out the amp glow or anything else. Like I said, I updated last week but am now using the mono 183MM Pro which with my first stacking looks like it is doing everything properly but when I combine the Ha, OIII, and SII stacks in RGB combine, then do HSL selective color editing, I bring into GIMP and save a TIF file to bring into Starnet to remove stars and am noticing a grid pattern after that. I have never noticed a pattern after using Starnet with the color camera so my thinking is something is not calibrating correctly or I don't know what I am doing with the mono camera. I think my next step is to go back and try beta 2 or take some new dark frames and see if that helps. I don't know how to report a bug. I would hope someone would get it when they respond to your post.

Tom

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by Tom Ferguson

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @mikem,

Please accept my aplogies for the late reply to your issue.

We are not aware of such a calibration issue with the latest beta. What do you see in the frame list once all lights and calibration frames are loaded, maybe that can give us a clue? Or perhaps you want to share the complete dataset so I can test/solve the issue for you?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mikem)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

I've just re-run Beta 26 on my data of the Crab Nebula, I'm assuming that the frame list is the place that tells me how many frames I've loaded of each of the calibration frames.  I have Lights, Flats, Darks and Dark Flats and all show the correct number of frames.  The progress window during calibration seems to show that various masters are being integrated but afterwards only the Dark Flats and BadPixelMap have masters showing in the masters frame, however they are not to be seen in the processed directory I've set.  I have zipped all the relevant frames and they come to 3.29GB should you wish to see them.  As I've noted before the last beta that worked for me was beta 19.0.

Kind regards

Mike Morrison

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Mike @mikem,

Okay, please upload the data here then and I will investigate 😉

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

username: uploadData

password: uploadTestData

Please make a folder with your name and issue like : Mike-Masters-missing-beta26

and let me know once uploaded.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@mikem)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi,

the zip file has been uploaded to MikeMorrison_Missing_Masters..., it appears to be a different file size which could be the difference between zfs and btrfs but if it needs re-uploading please let me know and I can upload it again.

Many thanks.

Mike Morrison.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Thanks Mike @mikem,

I will update you soon, we received the upload in good order 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @mikem

Hi,

the zip file has been uploaded to MikeMorrison_Missing_Masters..., it appears to be a different file size which could be the difference between zfs and btrfs but if it needs re-uploading please let me know and I can upload it again.

Many thanks.

Mike Morrison.

Hi @mikem,

I have tested your data with the latest version 2.0.0-beta28. This version has exactly the same calibration engine as beta26.

I have run the data completely from calibration to integration with all default settings in all menus 2) to 6) and everything worked fine. 4 masters were created after 2) Calibrate as can be seen in this screenshot:

All Masters Created Fine beta28

I checked a view of a calibrated light and could see clearly that the MasterFlat was applied correctly, so I clicked on integrate and got this result, which looks as expected I think:

Integration as expected flats clearly applied

So i think everything is fine, but something went wrong with your settings or workflow somewhere, maybe there was an issue with your harddisk or the location of the working directory while APP was processing?

To be sure, please reset everything to defaults with the CFG menu and retry the data yourself and let me know if everything is okay or not 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mikem)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Thanks for that, the results are both encouraging and disappointing at the same time, for obvious reasons.  I found that the same configuration works perfectly on Beta 19, so I'm not why the rest don't on my Mac Studio Max.  I'll reset the configuration and start again and see what happens.  By the way is Beta 28 available for download?

Kind regards.

MikeM

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Mike @mikem,

You can find the downloads in the downloads section https://www.astropixelprocessor.com/downloads/

Or use these direct links for the latest version:

Astro Pixel Processor Windows 64-bit
https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/latest-release/AstroPixelProcessor-latest-release-Windows-64-bit.zip

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Intel 64-bit
https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/latest-release/AstroPixelProcessor-latest-release-macOS-Intel-64-bit.zip

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Apple M Silicon 64-bit
https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/latest-release/AstroPixelProcessor-latest-release-macOS-Apple-M-Silicon-64-bit.zip

Astro Pixel Processor Linux DEB 64-bit
https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/latest-release/AstroPixelProcessor-latest-release-Linux-DEB-64-bit.zip

Astro Pixel Processor Linux RPM 64-bit
https://appreleaseserver.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/latest-release/AstroPixelProcessor-latest-release-Linux-RPM-64-bit.zip

Please let me know if all is okay, i have no clue at the moment why you ran into your issue. All seems to be working fine.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mikem)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Sorry about the delay, I'm extremely busy at the moment but I did manage to download and run beta 28, I also updated a few components on my Mac Studio and everything is fine now.  I suspect I made a false assumption about continuity and made a repeated mistake somewhere.  I'm still trying to track down where and how this happened as when I ran beta 19 with the same settings as the later beta versions everything came out as expected.  I may be a little time in my investigation but in the meantime I no longer have a problem with the software or as is more likely with my use of it

Something I noticed, it may be an Apple thing.  I did a configuration reset and deleted the program and re-installed it from scratch and the settings were still there, by this I mean the directories were populated with the directories I set before the deletion and other settings such as the number of stars chosen in the star anaysis were also carried over past the deletion.  Am I right in observing this?  I don't think this is a big thing unless it's not supposed to happen and doesn't elsewhere, in which case I probably need to back up and reinstall my machine.

Kind regards

Mike Morrison.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Mike,

okay, I am glad to hear all is okay now. I will remove the problem with the masters from our bug list. Do let me know, if you experience such a weird behaviour again though 😉 !

In the CFG menu, there are 2 reset buttons. Please use them both, and then everything including your working directory should be reset. 1 button resets the setting in menus 0) to 6), while the other reset button will reset the working directory and things like enable/disable console panel, sound on completion etc...

Oh, in beta29, soon to be released, we fixed a macOS issue where settings are not save if you close APP with CMD-Q. That will work properly with beta29 as well.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: