Data integration er...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Data integration errors using an external drive on MacOS

3 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin
Topic starter  

Hi all,

If you use an external drive on MacOS, please be aware that even the latest MacOS versions have bad support for file systems like Fat32 and NTFS.

NTFS will only work, if you purchase additional software from the Mac Store to support read and write on a NTFS file system. I use Paragon's Microsoft NTFS for MAC : https://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/#

Fat32 will just not work robustly with big integrations and is not advised due to the low file size limit in this partition type. If you would use it, strange and bad things could occur with your integrations, so be warned 😉 Here is one example:

Fat32 banding big integration due to file size limitation

2 options luckily remain,

1. if you need to use the external drive with Windows / Linux computers: use the ExFat file system on your external drive, it should work without issues and it can handle huge files !
  2. If you don't need to use the external drive with Windows/Linux computers: simply use a MacOS file system for the best and most robust performance.

Kind regards,

Mabula

This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Mabula-Admin

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

Thanks for the tips Mabula! I wasn’t aware of the ExFat file system.

As a matter of fact, it is possible to use an external disk with a Mac file system on Linux. The only requirement is to disable the journalling of the Mac file system. Once that is done the disk can safely be mounted on Linux in rw mode and changes can be made. I have been using my external disks like that for over a year now with no issues whatsoever.

Not sure if this works on Windows because I don’t use that OS.

HTH, Wouter

ReplyQuote
(@obsi)
White Dwarf

Hi. I am using a SAMSUNG T5 1TB SSD with an ASIAIR Pro for the imaging sessions.

I then use this SSD on my MBP M1 Pro and APP without any issues. Works fine with 1.083. No issues whatsoever.

The T5 was pre-formatted when I bought it. I did not change the FS format.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Obs30

ReplyQuote
Share: