beta 28 / metal rec...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

beta 28 / metal recommondation?

7 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
(@jochen-scharmann)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Hi,

Reposting this, as I received an answer to a 1 year old post - something might went wrong with the subscription.

I am running APP 2.00 beta 26 on MACOS Sonoma 14.1.2. It stars fine without crashing. Operation seems normal as well. Some questions:

1) Do You still recommend to download beta 28?

2) What would be  the impact of Metal disabled? 

3) Which Sonoma version has the Metal bug actually? Sonoma 14.1 got updated quickly to 14.1.2, probably this includes Metal fix already?

4) Going forward, will there be 2 future MAC OS versions with Metal enabled / disabled Or will there be a selector like the Open GL tickbox?

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@philippe-bernhard)
Red Giant

Hello

Just got new MBP with M3 max. Running fine APP 2.0 beta 28 on OSX Sonoma 14.2.1

I integrated without any issue 2760 files (4 plans in S, H, O, R, G, B each) of mosaic panel, then the assembly of the mosaic (where I still have normalization issue, but same on several versions and not linked to the comuter configuration)

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jochen-scharmann)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Thanks @phillippe-berhard, I do not doubt beta 28 works, I just would like to know what toll we need to take disabling Metal (speed etc.). Maybe @Mabula-admin can shed some light here. And if beta 26 works as well, why would I upgrade?

Garth Hunt reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Jochen @jochen-scharmann, @philippe-bernhard

Oh, that is weird, indeed, I answered this question already somewhere else...

We disabled the use of metal in beta28 because it clearly is broken on some macs with Sonoma, like many other things... (Sonoma is rather a bad release from Apple to be honest... if you google for it, you will find a Sonoma mega issue/bug list even. )

But disabling metal in APP shoudl have zero=0 influence on APP's performance. Metal is only used for drawing the 2D interface, like the buttons and dropdown boxes... Metal is not used for difficult calculations nor for image rendering.

We can only enable metal once we now that Apple has fixed all the Sonoma bugs. Unfortunately, Apple does not report everything they fix in each macOS release... so it will be a bit hard to keep track of this. But we know at least that performance in not impacted.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @philippe-bernhard

Hello

Just got new MBP with M3 max. Running fine APP 2.0 beta 28 on OSX Sonoma 14.2.1

I integrated without any issue 2760 files (4 plans in S, H, O, R, G, B each) of mosaic panel, then the assembly of the mosaic (where I still have normalization issue, but same on several versions and not linked to the comuter configuration)

Hi @philippe-bernhard,

That is great 🙂 Perhaps you can show or point me to the normalization issue that you are experiencing?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@philippe-bernhard)
Red Giant

Posted by: @mabula-admin

Hi @philippe-bernhard,

That is great 🙂 Perhaps you can show or point me to the normalization issue that you are experiencing?

Mabula

Hi Mabula @mabula-admin

I will prepare a new post for this.
I suspect when you do mosaic in SHORGB (for example), the normalization is calculated on reference (for example SII image, then applied to all other images R, G, B, Ha, OIII.

I say that because when I assemble each filter alone (for example the 4 Ha images), the result (intensity difference between 4 images) is not the same as when I put the 4 x 6 images (SHORGB) for assembly. 

It is always a nightmare. 

I will try to send you individual images (maybe only SHO). You will be able to test.

Best, 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Philippe BERNHARD

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Philippe @philippe-bernhard,

Your assumption regarding normalization is correct, it will try to make everything compatible, but SII especially can have so little signal compared to the green channel for instance that things might be bad. In that case, did you try to normalize with only add or multiple instead of add-scale or multiply-scale ?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: